Males vs Females, any difference?

Males vs Females, any difference?

Postby jl2018 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi. We're seriously considering getting a Chessie for the family. We had the best Rottie in the world, but he passed away last fall. Although we always thought we'd get another male dog, I'm wondering what people think of the differences in Chessies. I ask because the breed has only 2 female dogs left and, of course, he thinks all Chessies are wonderful. But looking for more perspective. Thanks.
jl2018

Re: Males vs Females, any difference?

Postby Ed Bahr » Fri May 25, 2018 1:46 pm

I have only owned male chessies and I really enjoyed each one.......Not a lot of help for your question, but I have really liked may males
Ed Bahr

Postby Payce » Sat May 26, 2018 1:11 pm

I’ve only had two, one male and one female. Enjoyed both. Loyal to me, though the female is loyal to the whole family, and both are hard working. I think I will stay with females in the future as they seem a little more settled in the family environment, but I would not hesitate to get a male either.
Fact is, if it’s a Chessie, I’m happy. The bigger thing to me is the breeding. Parents, bloodlines, and health.
Payce

Postby Pat Puwal » Sun May 27, 2018 1:17 am

We've had Chesapeakes since around 1970. We are currently on #14 spayed 6 yr. old female and #15 intact 2 yr. old male. The sex does have something to do with personality - we've had about 50/50 male/female, but the temperament is more key. If you get an Alpha male or female they are going to be pushing the envelope quite a bit. If you don't have the personality to be a pack leader, they will be glad to step in and lead. Chessies can be real good at that. The more submissive, middle-of-the-road pup is going to listen more and challenge authority less. Usually female pups mature more quickly than males, but not always. We've had one male that was quick to mature and take on everything new. We have his son right now and he is a slow maturer. Non-spayed Females can have hormone issues when coming in season, after season and even have false pregnancy. We always spay ours after a couple of years unless we breed once and then we spay. Males are always interested in marking territory and looking for girls but a good male will concentrate on his work when in the field. Both sexes can be extremely lovable. If you are lucky, the pup you get will have great prey drive, want to please and love to train. The key to that is usually in the pedigree and what the parents were able to accomplish. Also, be sure to see physical copies of all health clearances on parents - OFA - hips & elbows, DM clearance or carrier, EIC clearance or carrier, OFA eyes tested for PRA, cataracts, etc. Good luck!
Pat Puwal

Postby Payce » Sun May 27, 2018 4:41 pm

jl2018 wrote:Hi. We're seriously considering getting a Chessie for the family. We had the best Rottie in the world, but he passed away last fall. Although we always thought we'd get another male dog, I'm wondering what people think of the differences in Chessies. I ask because the breed has only 2 female dogs left and, of course, he thinks all Chessies are wonderful. But looking for more perspective. Thanks.

Sent you a PM.
Payce

Return to Chat