Cleaning up blind work

Q & A's pertaining to training problems & troubleshooting.

Cleaning up blind work

Postby Payce » Sun May 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Been quiet on here for a while. Video of Sky, rusty but still following commands. Back is 80 yards, over roughly 30 yards off the back line. Second effort of the session. Hesitation on over was a complete surprise and had never done that before or since.

Things to work on. My rookie thoughts...control issue, she has strong drive to hunt on her own (head swinging when commanded to sit). Don’t want to kill hunt desire, just improve control.

Not clean on overs. Still scratching my head on the hesitation but without a repeat not to worried. More concerned about the over not being clean.

Thinking we’ll back up and work on both, possibly even back to T work? Don’t want to take the hunt drive out, just a little more control. We have worked out to 180 yards on back, but not consistent at that distance. Great on back out to 100 yards.

Advice and comments appreciated and hope this helps others working through blind work as rookies as well!

https://youtu.be/e6l936mx_OM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Payce

Re: Cleaning up blind work

Postby Tim Carrion » Wed May 16, 2018 1:37 am

False lining to set up a cast especially on known or pattern blinds, can help a dog learn to carry a cast, not scallop, but if done too much can reinforce your head swinging and hesitation problem because the dog knows where other bumpers are.
You might clean up your blinds better with doing real blinds utilizing real casting not mechanical right angle casting.
IMHO time to move on otherwise handling just becomes a " parlor trick".

Tim
Tim Carrion

Postby Payce » Wed May 16, 2018 2:37 am

Thanks Tim.
Payce

Postby Sharon Potter » Thu May 17, 2018 3:45 pm

;) What Tim said.
Sharon Potter

Return to Ask The Pro's