Rehoming Ex-Stud Dog

Stud Dog Services. Any goods or services offered on this Web site are not the liability of Team Chesapeake:PeakeTalk, its owners, or its agents. Any or all guarantees will be the responsibility of the seller. By clicking on the "Stud Dog" link, you agree to these terms. Minimum requirement for posting a Stud Dog is listing the status of Degenerative Myelopathy testing results. Effective 11-30-08 Billy Smith

Rehoming Ex-Stud Dog

Postby westinbrodey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Hello,

We are meeting an ex-stud dog tonight as a potential new addition.
First things first we are taking our existing dog to see how they get on.
As we will be a pet home what sort of questions do I need to ask?
I don't know whether the dog is kennelled or lives in the home so I guess that would be a good place to start?
Are there any potential issues with rehoming ex-stud dogs?
I presume they will be female mad so we would be looking to get him neutered.

Thanks
westinbrodey

Re: Rehoming Ex-Stud Dog

Postby BrianK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Quiet post... I'll take the first stab at a reply. You may have already picked the pup up but you are on the right track with how the dogs was cared for while be a stud. Is he a kennel dog or is he use to being in the house as a pet? Even if he was a kenneled dog that does not mean he would not do well in the house, you would need to start as if he was a puppy with a kennel inside and slowly let him get the inside training he needs. All stud dogs are not female mad. Good ones will know the difference between a girl in heat vs a spayed girl and most likely leave them be. Hopefully, the dog has been around other dogs in an open environment and handle being part of a small pack (in your case two dogs). I would think it would be better if the other dog was a female in case there is any male dog aggression (which you should ask about).
BrianK

Return to Stud Dogs