Am I ready for a Chessie?

Am I ready for a Chessie?

Postby DawnB » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Hello all, it's nice to be on here. Before I start I should say I am not going to be ready for a Chessie for another two years so keep that in mind. Sorry this is a bit long.

I have been researching this breed a lot over the past few weeks and will continue to do so until I get one. I see a lot that they are not a breed for an inexperienced owner and while I will only have experience with one small breed before I get one everything about the Cheesie is exactly what I'm looking for. I have always been a fan of large, driven and protective dogs. Those are just the kinds for me, I could never have a Lab or Golden and I personally don't believe someone should be "stuck" with a breed they don't particularly like just because people think that should be your first large dog.

I'm currently in a large city but will move to the burbs next year but not super far from said city. Socializing can curb a lot of the "issues" I see people have with this breed and of course good training too. I can do a bustling city, the burbs to a secluded, wooded park. Lots of different people, animals and noises, etc. I am a naturally assertive person, definitely not a pushover and I will clearly define for the dog what is to be expected and what isn't. I go by the NILIF training method to show the dog that I am in control of all things. No dogs on the furniture, in the bed or rushing past me at the door, no begging at the table...you get the idea.

I don't mind a stubborn dog if he has an idea better than mine. I'm stubborn myself yet laid back with a sense of humor. Nothing in my life has been easy and I take challenges in stride. I am active, preferring to go on at least a long walk every day but prefer to get away for a good hike of 5 miles or so. I am also a hunter and will be training my Chess to get birds (duh) but also a blood trailer for deer and hunt for sheds. I understand they need both mental as well as physical exercise and I have plenty of time for training sessions each day. I like that they are loyal but not a soppy affectionate sponge. I love that they have a mind of their own but still mind you most of the time. I want a protector, being a woman in or near the city and going for hikes alone it would make me feel safer to have a backup. I don't care if they like other people, I'm not big on most myself but will still extensively socialize. Again, I'm not looking for a lab temperament though nothing against the breed.

So to you who have had them, what do you think? I may not have a ton of experience but I'm not super young and have waited a very long time to finally get what I consider a "real" dog once I was able to provide the right environment. I have done my research on both the breed but also dog training and behavior for years now though that said I am not dumb and think I know everything either. If I had trouble I have the finances to hire a good trainer. They seem like the absolute perfect breed for me in so many ways but want to hear from those with experience if they think I could cut it and convince a breeder I am ready.
DawnB

Re: Am I ready for a Chessie?

Postby RShockley » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:23 am

What area of the country do you live in. My recommendation would be to find a good training group or hunting retriever club in your area. Hopefully being able find one that has at least a few dogs of each breed. It will give you an opportunity to learn about the breed itself, how it differs from the other breeds, and also learn more about proper training of a hunting retriever. This breed is fantastic but not for everyone. Most issues that people have with any breed can be handled with proper socialization and proper consistent training from an young puppy. It sounds as if you are at least putting a lot of forethought into this decision so you are already way better off then most looking to get a new dog. I would as start doing research about prospective breeders and breeding. I wouldn't be overly concerned about them not selling you a dog. Most breeders are simply looking for someone that is going to provide a great home for one of there puppies. That doesn't always mean you have to have experience with other breeds or training experience prior to making a purchase. Most understand that all these skills are easily learned as long as an owner is willing to put in the time and effort. Although, I will also say that if a breeder seems to easy and highly willing to make a sale without asking you proper questions first that would be a pretty big red flag. I spoke with the breeder I got my first Chesapeake from several times before I was even allowed to place a deposit. Some find that as an inconvenience but I found it assuring that I was buying from a breeder that truly cared about their puppies.
Richard Shockley
RShockley

Postby DawnB » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:01 pm

I'm in SE Pennsylvania. That is a very good idea, I'm willing to travel some to attend any as well. If anyone knows of any in my area that chessies attend let me know. They certainly are not for everyone but I have found people like the breed for characteristics they see in themselves it seems. Same reason I have been drawn to them but they aren't common and I have yet to even see one.

I'll get on looking deeper into breeders, ideally I would like to have them be in a drivable distance so I could see the dam and sire. I'm also up to meet breeders at a show if they do that as well. Yes if any breeder has hardly any questions or is quickly trying to make a sale I don't want that. I would rather have a breeder just as wary as me and wants to know me better to make a the right selection for my needs.
DawnB

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:40 am

"I like that they are loyal but not a soppy affectionate sponge."

Reads like you'd be disappointed with the "velcro" Chessies I've had. No getting on the furniture or begging or such, but when I rise from this desk chair, I'll either have to "Let's go." or step over a dog. My five to date have been quite affectionate by nature and want to be where we are - at least until afforded the distractions of the field.
Rick Hall

Postby Tim Carrion » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:54 am

DawnB wrote:
I have always been a fan of large, driven and protective dogs. Those are just the kinds for me, I could never have a Lab or Golden and I personally don't believe someone should be "stuck" with a breed they don't particularly like just because people think that should be your first large dog.

They seem like the absolute perfect breed for me in so many ways but want to hear from those with experience if they think I could cut it and convince a breeder I am ready.

There are many popular attributes about Chesapeakes that are myths. Remember you will be getting an individual DOG more than breed. The personality traits of your dog will be specific to your dog and may not match the stereotypes you have read. A frequent participant on this site pointed out to me this weekend that my dog and some of his relatives do not have the "guard dog" attitude of the breed, They are too friendly!

Chesapeakes more often than not are big babies that require you to convince them, rather than force them, of the advantages of proper behavior. Avoid a battle of wills. Old saying: " You order a lab , Ask a Golden, and Negotiate with a Chesapeake".

Whether this dog is your 1st or 50th they are all a little different and need to be treated that way.
Ckeck out : http://www.oakhillkennel.com/library/breeds.html

Tim
Tim Carrion

Postby Mira » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:02 pm

Make sure you take your Chessy to obedience class. They can help you with alot of the little things as well as help with socializing the dog. If you are looking for a breeder check.out Pond Hollow Chesapeakes in middle pa. She has a few litters coming up and one in the spring. She has great dogs!
Mira

Return to Chat