Getting Ready for Early Goose

Getting Ready for Early Goose

Postby jdavis92 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:18 pm

What did you guys do to get your pup ready for their first hunt?

Early Colorado goose starts on Sept 1st and I'm super excited, and also a little nervous. It's been 11 years since I had a "first" hunt with a new pup.

Thanks.

Jeff in Flagstaff
jdavis92

Re: Getting Ready for Early Goose

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:22 am

Work on steadiness under duress, so you can whack healthy cripples again. (Have fond memories of a human buddy and POed resident Canada going round like wrestlers looking for an opening.) But the only dog I introduced to the big geese, a pointing dog at that, just took to retrieving them, albeit awkwardly, without special introduction.

Here, our blues and specks are only about half a resident Canada's 10-12lbs, so bulk isn't an issue so much as unfamiliarity. I can only remember one case, Chien's, where I had to assist with my own dogs' introductions to geese. I had to get out of the blind and go help settle a speck that had pocked him on the noggin, but that bowed-up bird dropped to hide when it saw me coming, and Chien then picked it up and brought it to me "without further ado".

Have, however, helped a number of camp guest dogs make the proper connections on both ducks and geese will offer that. If there's a blip, don't get in a "Fetch, fetch, fetch, FETCH DAMMIT!!!" lather that only weakens the command and creates more confusion. Just go recover the bird and set Pup up at heel, as if in training, toss something familiar for him to retrieve (bumper or duck) a couple times, then "having primed the pump," toss the goose and repeat with that same familiar sequence. Has always worked for us...

Anyway, don't let Pup get beat up and have a ball.
Rick Hall

Postby jdavis92 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks Rick, all good suggestions.

I have a buddy going with me on this hunt so (as much as I really don't want to 8-) ) I'll have him take the first shots so I can focus on Artie. We'll see how good her steadiness is when guns are firing and birds are (hopefully) dropping.

A couple other things I've been doing; I have a 3" bumper weighted with shot to 7lbs. It's not easy for her to pick up but she's getting better. The other is a large, live, drake mallard that's been living in the backyard for the past few months. Once every few days I send her to fetch it. It's hard as hell for her because the duck resists mightily, and is BIG. She struggles, but when she gets a grip and brings it to me she gets all the praise in the world.

Jeff in Flagstaff
jdavis92

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:10 pm

She'll probably do just fine.
Rick Hall

Return to Chat