Tips for sitting quickly.

Q & A's pertaining to training problems & troubleshooting.

Tips for sitting quickly.

Postby jdavis92 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Artie knows "sit". Both by the use of the word and the whistle.

She knows that sit means sit unless told to do something else (99% of the time).

We started doing Mini-T work and I found that, although she knows sit, she doesn't execute it as fast as she needs to. On the whistle, her momentum carries her an additional few steps (~5-10ft) further, then she turns around and sits at a not so fast pace.

Alternatively, when we are on walks in the woods, and I blow the whistle, she sits pretty quickly, on the spot.

I get the sense that her drive to the pile is in conflict with the whistle when I blow it. I alternate between letting her drive to the pile and sitting her at the mound for a cast. I certainly don't want to lower her drive with lots of reps, but the quick immediate sit doesn't seem to be clicking right now.

Any thoughts that might help Artie and me out?

Thanks

Jeff in Flagstaff
jdavis92

Re: Tips for sitting quickly.

Postby Rick Hall » Sun May 26, 2019 2:30 pm

Perhaps a notion from someone who does not do any "T" work will spark response from those who do.

Since I don't use a collar, either, I depend on the quick reward of a mark as soon as Pup sits to condition quick sits. Works for us.

So I'm thinking that anticipating your gal's over-run and signaling a bit early to stop her where you want her, then quick-casting her to your desired bumper may speed up her sits, as she learns there's a pay-off.
Rick Hall

Postby Rick Hall » Tue May 28, 2019 9:23 pm

Well, I see that didn't bring any "T" experts out of the woodwork, so here's a new RTF thread you might want to keep an eye on: https://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?210538-Suggestions-for-improving-whistle-sit
Rick Hall

Postby Tim Carrion » Wed May 29, 2019 12:08 am

No claim to be an "expert" just a few thoughts:
- 5-10 ft to stop is not a big deal for a high rolling dog IF they are stopping in a straight line but if you getting a looping sit to the right or left that is different issue
- If she is stopping but not sitting this may be due to her anticipation of being cast to these known spots and/or you are casting too fast. Slow down and wait her out and/ or low nic to get butt down
- How well does she sit on remote recalls? (taking the excitement of retrieving out of process)
- Have you ever tried placing her about 40 yds away facing you and throwing a mark towards her, give her a come-in whistle but stop and sit her 1/2 way to the bumper? (putting some excitement back in)

Tim
Tim Carrion

Postby jdavis92 » Wed May 29, 2019 4:14 am

Thanks Rick and Tim.

The sit is just lazy. If we are out on a walk, on leash, and I say sit, she sits on a dime, but it takes a solid 2 seconds for her sit to be "complete". Now imagine how far that two seconds can carry a dog when she's on a full sprint to a bumper!

Her sits are straight, no looping, and she DOES sit on the whistle. No anticipation of a forthcoming cast.

I've tried a couple of things over the last few days to see if I get a better reaction. One has involved the use of a well hidden horse crop while walking at heel. While walking at heel I say sit and lightly tap her on the top of her butt to get it down faster. I do mean lightly. That has worked a bit for sitting quickly at heel.

The other I tried today with Rick's suggestion in mind. We were playing "the game" (Bill HIllmann), I said sit, and her butt hit the ground rather quickly. As soon as her butt hit the ground I said "fetch" and continued the game. Hopefully she gets the idea that sitting quickly means she gets to fetch and play the game more. This is somewhat counter-intuitive to Tim's suggestion of taking the excitement out so we'll see how things progress. I have to somehow get her to figure out that sitting quickly at a distance also means I'm going to send her to something she'll enjoy.

Jeff in Flagstaff
jdavis92

Postby Rick Hall » Wed May 29, 2019 10:23 am

jdavis92 wrote:...imagine how far that two seconds can carry a dog when she's on a full sprint to a bumper!

"One-thousand one, one-thousand two" doesn't strike me as an unreasonable time for a dog in "full sprint to a bumper" to get stopped, turned around and sat. Much quicker might put her tail-over-tonsils or risk connective tissue damage.

Tough to envision things through a PC. Or not to envision a cartoon horse skidding to a sitting stop at the edge of a cliff, just now. Seems likely I'm a lot more lax with my dogs than you're wanting to be with your girl.
Rick Hall

Postby jdavis92 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:52 pm

Envisioning through a PC, tru dat. Context and details get muddled or unintentionally left out.

For clarification, I suppose when she's full out for a bumper, it takes the solid two seconds for her to come to a stop and another two seconds for her to settle her butt on the ground. That's seems like a long time for a sit to me.

Jeff in Flagstaff
jdavis92

Postby Rick Hall » Wed May 29, 2019 6:13 pm

jdavis92 wrote:For clarification, I suppose when she's full out for a bumper, it takes the solid two seconds for her to come to a stop and another two seconds for her to settle her butt on the ground. That's seems like a long time for a sit to me.

Even if it takes four seconds from a full sprint, I'd be curious as to an advantage to faster than that which would outweigh the affect getting it might have on her momentum?
Rick Hall

Return to Ask The Pro's