Water Freaking

Water Freaking

Postby jdavis92 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:03 pm

Does anyone have any good methods / drills for breaking a dog of water freaking?

It's always during a free swim that Artie water freaks. Her swimming form is fine (it wasn't always during freaking) but she does NOT listen to me or the whistle or the collar when free swimming.

Put a mark, or marks, in the water...no problem. She has a goal and things are great. Her form is better than fine and she needs no kind of correction. Just a "here" and she brings me the mark, sits, and drops it when I tell her to.

It's still a little cold for me to get in the water with her, but I was thinking of putting her on a 100ft leash and getting into my waders to go out there with her. Not sure what to do once we are out there though. That's where I could use some help. THis doesn't seem like a standard obedience issue, but I am willing to entertain ideas to the contrary.

She just turned one by the way.

Thanks

Jeff in Flagstaff
jdavis92

Re: Water Freaking

Postby Tim Carrion » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:57 am

If it is not a problem when she is retrieving and it is always a problem during " free swims" IMHO first step is to stop allowing "free swims". If she doesn't respond to whistle or collar when in the water it is an obedience issues. IMHO a strict review of land obedience followed by remote recalls across water, a swim by program,..
Make swimming work time not play time.

Tim
Tim Carrion

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:15 am

Tim Carrion wrote:If it is not a problem when she is retrieving and it is always a problem during " free swims" IMHO first step is to stop allowing "free swims". If she doesn't respond to whistle or collar when in the water it is an obedience issues. IMHO a strict review of land obedience followed by remote recalls across water, a swim by program,..
Make swimming work time not play time.

Tim

"Swim-by," per se, is something I've never done, but having had a perhaps-could-of-been water freaking candidate, the rest of Tim's post rings true as can be with my experience with what was my fourth Chessie.

Fairly early on I found that if left to his own devices near water, he'd soon be in it swimming in circles and periodically dipping his head under it. That lacked what I understood to be the classic freaking symptoms of yipping, yapping, splashing and carrying on, and his OB was strong enough to readily call him in, so I figured he was getting exercise and let it go. "Let it go," that is, until it began showing signs of becoming problematic, as he'd start arcing away from his lines on really long water marks and need be handled back on course. I never let the arcing go full circle (I kill me), but it certainly appeared he'd lost focus on the mark and was going to start circling.

At that point, we started doing pretty much what Tim's suggested: avoiding free-swims and structuring his water time, plus backing off to shorter water marks he was less apt to lose focus on for a while. Don't know if he would have otherwise blossomed into a full-fledged uncontrollable "water freak," but do know nipping his loss of focus on work in the bud turned that trick.

He remained fanatical about being in the water and inclined to swimming in place, or nearly so, when free to without direction for the remainder of his life, but I also made a point of moving on, myself, so he'd swim in the direction that suggested, or giving him something else to do, and his watery pastime never became problematic again during training or while hunting.

In any event, I'll suggest taking heed of Tim's post, beginning with strengthening OB, and wish you and Pup the best of luck with it.
Rick Hall

Postby Tim Carrion » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:35 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
structuring his water time

Suggesting swim by was for this very purpose. This very formal short distance drill demands focus on the handler, obedience and control in the water. In this instance the de-cheating aspect is a side benefit.

Tim
Tim Carrion

Postby Sharon Potter » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:02 pm

What Tim said, exactly. No more free swims, and structure the water time. (we need a "like" button!)
Sharon Potter

Postby jdavis92 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them very much. I have a couple of thoughts for consideration.

1. No more free swim. Got it. At this moment our water work has been limited to marks (singles and doubles). On land she's been FTP and we're working on casts and longer lining. I viewed what Swim-By IS on one of my Smartwork videos, but not how to "teach" it. I've also viewed Akin de-cheaitng video as well. Perhaps someone could articulate what swim-by is and how to work towards it? What would be the pre-reqs for swim-by that a dog should know?

2. While I intend to (and regularly do) re-visit fundamental OB, because I do think it will help, I don't view this as primarily a disobedience problem. While free swimming, she has brief moments of clarity (you can see it) and she obeys without question. Her freaking is over-riding her recall, which we can and will work on more, but I don't think she's blowing me off like a stereotypical Chessie.

3. We're camping on a slow, narrow-ish, shallow-ish river this weekend. Here's my thought: With Artie on a super long lead, wade across and sit her on the other side. Wade back and call her to me. Should she start to freak on the way back, use the leash to help her regain focus and get to me. A couple of reps a couple of times a day, assuming things go well. Thoughts?

Jeff in Flagstaff
jdavis92

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:19 am

jdavis92 wrote:3. We're camping on a slow, narrow-ish, shallow-ish river this weekend. Here's my thought: With Artie on a super long lead, wade across and sit her on the other side. Wade back and call her to me. Should she start to freak on the way back, use the leash to help her regain focus and get to me. A couple of reps a couple of times a day, assuming things go well. Thoughts?

My first thought is that water and a "super long lead" sound like a bad combo. Should Pup get tangled, you may inadvertently develop another sort of water issue. BUT, I've zero, nada, no experience whatsoever with such.

(It was rare for me to checkcord my pointing dog pups, and never used one with any of my retrievers. Figure it generally more potential distraction than boon.)
Rick Hall

Return to Chat