Breeding and hunting

Re: Breeding and hunting

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:52 am

thomas wilkins wrote:That is what they were bred for.

Could well be I'm reading you wrong, but finding just three keepers out of forty attempts has you batting just under .002, which doesn't suggest you've had much luck identifying the dogs that will produce what you want, even with all that practice. So it hardly seems fair to expect others to maintain such an elusive standard.

I can't imagine a breed, any breed, ever being more than a composite of the widely varied dogs within it, much less surviving over time without change that reflects the desires of the widely varied people maintaining it. Throw in the often fanciful nature of some thought-to-be "historic" attributes, and you have self-thought traditionalists wanting to maintain things like what some believe "the Chesapeake breed's" aloof, highly protective nature, while the folks who actually codified the breed were apparently more inclined to cull dogs that would attack a stranger.

Seems to me that all we can fairly hope folks breeding dogs will do is their best to meet their own ends, and the best we buyers can do is our own best to locate breedings matching our own ends. But I'm pretty easy: be sixty-nine next week and have only owned around a dozen gun dogs, all of which have been keepers.

My fifth Chessie is snoozing by my feet and perhaps not at all the dog you or the next devout Chesapeake man or woman would want. And Lord knows he's following what I thought the epitome of working and family retrievers, without yet hitting his uncle's mark in either. But I look upon him from the vantage of now knowing how I demeaned my second Chesapeake through such "He's not the old dog." comparisons to my first - and how sorely I came to wish I'd focused more on his flat wonderful attributes.
Rick Hall

Postby thomas wilkins » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:39 pm

Hey Rick,

I think you better get your facts right before you start knocking someone. I am going to leave it at that.

Tom
thomas wilkins

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:35 pm

thomas wilkins wrote:Hey Rick,

I think you better get your facts right before you start knocking someone. I am going to leave it at that.

Tom

Hey, Tom,

I think that would be a whole lot easier if you'd be kind enough to fill me in on what facts I've got wrong and who I'm knocking.
Rick Hall

Previous

Return to Chat