Bringing home a new pup today

Q & A's pertaining to training problems & troubleshooting.

Bringing home a new pup today

Postby WillyTSmith » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:57 pm

I'm new to this forum, or to the hole forum thing in general. I've never been on one of these. I'm looking for some tips.

My dad had a Chessie that I helped train. He was sort of our dog but he lived at my dads house and I wasn't actually around for the first few months. Today I'm brining home a new pup so this will be my first chessie to raise on my own. Does anyone have any dos or don'ts for first day/week of having a new dog at the house? I have a wife, a 2 year old son, and a 6 year old female pit/boxer mix. I want to avoid anything that will potentially cause bad habits or behavior. I plan on him being an out door dog but I know he'll probably be in the house a good bit to begin with. I've read a good bit of stuff on this and still have my old training videos but thought I'd look for some fresh perspectives.

Any advice is appreciated.
WillyTSmith

Re: Bringing home a new pup today

Postby Payce » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Welcome home to the world of Chessies! I’m a newbie myself to the addiction. You no doubt will have some great answers from those with decades of experience soon. I can tell you what I’ve learned from them that I really found out was soooo true, especially early on.
Let your puppy be a puppy and bond with you for the first few months. Make life fun! Not out of control, but fun.
Lots of exposure during that time to other dogs, people, and situations.
Keep the exposure controlled and don’t put your pup in situations that may lead to bad reactions (dog parks, mean dogs, uncontrolled loud situations, mean people, etc.).
Read and watch everything you can about training and settle on a (newer) training program. I find even reading the older books can help you understand why training is structured the way it is.
Watch and learn your new pups attitude and learn to anticipate their reaction to things.
Learn everyday and be patient....every dog is different and they all proceed in the learning curve at their own pace.
Be quick to praise and never angry (that doesn’t mean no corrections, just don’t loose your head while training. Be focused and direct).

For me another one for a family situation.
Take the time to teach everyone in the household how to interact with the puppy. As the dog begins to move into formal training and obedience this will become more and more important. My wife and I laugh about this all the time.

The above is just a few of the things I was taught (doesn’t mean I got it right with my current dog when she was a puppy.....made plenty of mistakes). I’m thankful to those with years and years of experience that shared their knowledge and helped me.
Payce

Re: Bringing home a new pup today

Postby RShockley » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:09 pm

Congrats on the new pup and welcome to the chessie world! The most important thing in my opinion with a pup is controlled socialization. Take him everywhere with you that will allow the pup to come inside with you. Start now getting him used to having his feet, ears, mouth, etc touched so that vet trips will be easier in the future. When the pup is out with you at home keep a lead on him. That way he doesn't learn early on that you don't have control of him. You can do this while still allowing him to have fun and be a pup. If training for hunting in the future I would suggest avoiding play tug of war as well. Playing tug can produce hard mouth and increase possessiveness. I am sure other will chime in with more suggestions. Just enjoy the pup while he is a pup because it won't last long.
RShockley

Return to Ask The Pro's