Why Chessies

Re: Why Chessies

Postby don crampton » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:38 pm

don crampton wrote:
Russell Huffman wrote:
Tim Carrion wrote:" The Chesapeake, with its arresting yellow-eyed gaze and its legendary origins involving market hunters and rescue from a shipwreck, enjoys undeniable mystique.Chesapeakes tend to be deeply devoted and very responsive to verbal and physical praise. They can convey with a gesture that simply to be in the presence of their master is the greatest privilege in the world. Chesapeake owners are accordingly loyal to their dogs and unimpressed by other breeds, however flashy." (John Dahl, The Big 3 Breeds)

I started with CBRs as a child, went to Labs for a little while but came back. When asked once by a judge why I went back I told her "I found out anybody can train lab I want something special".

Tim

Awesome quote Tim. I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Payce wrote:Jim I’ve heard. Did nite hunts in my day, but was already getting to be a racket and that was 35+ years ago. Mainly hunted with friends just to enjoy listening to a solid dog work out a tough track. Corn field races on a cool September nite also great fun. Funny how many of us in our youth hunted behind hounds and now hunt behind Chessies. Got to love em. They are a different breed. As mentioned before, even my little gal Sky has drive and no quit. If I can hunt so can she, in fact when she was 1 it was -15 one morning and a buddy called about a pheasant hunt. Had to tell him Sky would go, but I didn’t want to. We went when it hit 0 and she caught a rooster that day before it flew. Never did get above 3 degrees and never bothered her a bit. Kept an eye on her feet, that was my main concern. From what I’ve seen that’s nothing special for Chessies. They all go when asked. Saw my son’s 11 year old male that could barely see and deaf make a 200 yard retrieve on a running rooster. His last retrieve and he made it happen. I’ll never forget that dog coming back to my son. Slow to return, but so happy to bring that bird to my son. They had a special bond. The old guy never went hunting again.

No doubt there are and have been great Labs, Golden’s, and many other bird dogs over the years and not trying to take away anything from them. Chessies.....just seem to have no quit in them.

Chessies are just more dog, more of all the prized traits than most all breeds.
don crampton

Postby WMAn » Tue May 19, 2020 2:28 am

Hello everyone. New to the forum. Anxiously awaiting a pup from Sharon in June.

My first exposure to hunting dogs was beagles (uncle) and coon hounds (grandfather). So it is interesting to hear how many of you come from a hound background.

Moved to MS in 2005 to manage NWRs for the ducks and had to get a retriever. Bought a lab from British field trial lines. Then bought another in 2006 because I thought the best way to fix my mistakes on the first pup was a second pup. :lol:

Second pup came from Wildrose Kennels. I had reason 2-3 Fridays a month to pass through Oxford. After reserving a pup, I would stop at the kennel every other Friday morning about sunrise. Mike Stewart would already be up working his dogs and client dogs in training. I got to throw dummies, watch, and learn.

It was great experience. Mike's dogs (Drake, Bob, Hamish, Whiskey, and Kane) opened my eyes to what a dog can be.

But... There was also a disconnect. The labs I got were extremely trainable and with a lot of bird exposure could become great. There seemed to be some natural ability missing.

My hunting buddy in MS had a female Chessie. I never hunted with her. Only saw her staring at me with those EYES from her kennel. The stories he told me peaked my interest though. Stories like going to get her for a duck hunt on a frozen, predawn morning only to find her curled up on the ground covered in frost, when she had a perfectly good dog house. Or, when he encountered a sounder of wild hogs, and she went into attack mode and dove straight into them.

I often walked long distances to duck hunt public land. Carried FUD ducks to cut weight and hated packing a dog stand. Even on cool (not cold) mornings my labs would shiver uncontrollably standing in ankle water, and I would have to take them back on the ridge off the slough to warm up. Or, when my lab after having hunted quite a bit encountered a wounded bird wing-flopping and looked at me like what do I do now.

Something was missing... My grandfather is a really good coonhound trainer. I used to work at a hardware store in high school. Folks I didn't know would make the connection and tell me stories... Like, "Your grandfather's hounds stop baying while he aims and fires on a coon. Craziest thing I ever saw."

My grandfather observed me training my labs the way I had been taught. He would tell me little things... "Don't ever be ashamed of your dog; he's yours for better or worse." "I let my young dogs do some things that I will correct later on because the most important thing now is to get them fired up to hunt. I can discipline them later, but I can't ever put that fire back if they don't get it now."

Lots of rambling thoughts here, but all reasons why my third pup will be a Chessie. Butch Goodwin and a lot of other folks who have written about Chessies had a lot to do with it too. I've kept notes on Chessie breeders off and on over the last 14 years. Really happy to have found Sharon and looking forward to meeting pup.
WMAn

Postby T Mac » Thu May 21, 2020 4:37 pm

WMAn wrote:Hello everyone. New to the forum. Anxiously awaiting a pup from Sharon in June.

Welcome to the brown dog world. Enjoy the ride!
T Mac

Previous

Return to Chat