Strange Behavior

Q & A's pertaining to training problems & troubleshooting.

Strange Behavior

Postby loyalsockcbr » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:18 pm

We have a 6 month old female that for no apparent reason starts going crazy. She will be fine and all is going well, then she just goes crazy jumping on us and trying to bite. She tries to circle to the rear and jump on our back biting at our arms. We’ve had Chessie in the past and have not experienced this behavior. Any hints? How do we deal with this. I worry because I know Chessies do not respond well to harsh correction but I’m at the end of my rope! Any input would be appreciated.
loyalsockcbr

Re: Strange Behavior

Postby Sharon Potter » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:12 pm

How is the basic obedience? Will she sit when told?

It sounds to me like this is a type of rough play behavior, which needs to be stopped NOW. What usually works for me is to give a known command (sit is the usual one), then immediately enforce it, using whatever you need to to make it happen. Be firm and assertive...no anger or emotion....but MEAN it. The dog can't do any of that stuff if she is sitting. And if she is not sitting after being told, that needs as much correction as needed, at that exact moment...and then it's over. It is always better to make one big correction than to pick and nag and cajole. When she is sitting, calmly and slowly pet and praise, then go on about your business.
Sharon Potter

Postby loyalsockcbr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:08 am

Sharon Potter wrote:How is the basic obedience? Will she sit when told?

It sounds to me like this is a type of rough play behavior, which needs to be stopped NOW. What usually works for me is to give a known command (sit is the usual one), then immediately enforce it, using whatever you need to to make it happen. Be firm and assertive...no anger or emotion....but MEAN it. The dog can't do any of that stuff if she is sitting. And if she is not sitting after being told, that needs as much correction as needed, at that exact moment...and then it's over. It is always better to make one big correction than to pick and nag and cajole. When she is sitting, calmly and slowly pet and praise, then go on about your business.

Thank you. She does sit and i have been doing as you have suggested with improvement. I will continue. Would the fact that she is teething have anything to do with it? Thanks for responding.
loyalsockcbr

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:34 am

I'm too far removed to fully understand your situation, but when our guys have started to act an ass when company comes or some-such, the "sit" Sharon's suggested has been what's broke them of it.
Rick Hall

Postby Sharon Potter » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:53 pm

loyalsockcbr wrote:
Sharon Potter wrote:How is the basic obedience? Will she sit when told?

Thank you. She does sit and i have been doing as you have suggested with improvement. I will continue. Would the fact that she is teething have anything to do with it? Thanks for responding.

Teething probably has nothing to do with it....simple misbehavior. :)
Sharon Potter

Return to Ask The Pro's