second hand chesapeake

second hand chesapeake

Postby denos » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:40 am

I am the second owner of a beautiful female CBR. she has been with me for over 18 months but I feel that my dog thinks that i am caring for her until she can go back home. my reason for this thought is that she is over-interested in other people, ranges quite far out no mater how much free exercise she gets and has thus far only barked at two people who have come over. my last cbr was always at my side had zero interest in anyone other that me and my oldest daughter and fiercely guarded my house and truck. this has been my experience with every other chessie that i have met, which is why i think there is a bonding issue
denos

Re: second hand chesapeake

Postby denos » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:09 pm

sorry forgot to end with my question,

has any one had a similar experience?

were you able to resolve it?
denos

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:13 am

I'm on my fifth, and only the first of those came very close to fitting the "aloof," "one man," "ultra-protective" mold I so often hear Chessies come out of. The others (and to some extent even that first one) have all been people dogs, and I'd think it largely a matter of their socialization. And not something I'd want to "resolve".
Rick Hall

Postby denos » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:44 pm

you say that you are on your fifth CBR and had only one like has been like my experience with the CBRs that I have met. I have to ask if you got all your dogs from the same breeder or have you bred your own. also did you get any of these dogs as adults that may have bonded with other people before you. I have been advised to send her back and try again, but I am committed to this dog. I have heard of stubborn dogs, but it seems that she has no desire to please at all. I am looking for advice from any one who has been in this situation and found success.
denos

Postby Sharon Potter » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:10 am

If I may be direct....whenever I've seen this issue, the problem is not with the dog. The dog is who it is. The owner needs to change their expectations and learn to accept the dog for what it is rather than trying to change it into something it is not.
Sharon Potter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:24 am

denos wrote:you say that you are on your fifth CBR and had only one like has been like my experience with the CBRs that I have met. I have to ask if you got all your dogs from the same breeder or have you bred your own. also did you get any of these dogs as adults that may have bonded with other people before you...

Got them all as young pups, each of the first four from largely, though not entirely, different blood, but the current one is his predecessor's nephew. Each has been highly socialized from early on, lived in a home with lots of new kids and adults coming and going and worked for a busy commercial camp. Could well be that your girl was better socialized as a youngster and/or better bred than some.

While there's something romantic about the Chesapeake being the market hunters' dog that guarded his gear, the market hunters weren't the ones who codified the breed. The folks who took the trouble to do that were wealthy sportmen belonging to clubs disinclined to put up with ill-tempered animals. If you read Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, Decoys and Long Guns Tales of a Carroll's Island Ducking Club, you'll find records of a gentle natured stud dog being a fixture in the clubhouse, fighters being criticized for it and at least one dog being put down for biting a tramp, much less a member or guest. So while I've no doubt some of the best of the market hunting blood found its way into club kennels, there probably weren't a lot of overly protective ones making the codification cut.

As to your initial post's "ranges quite far out no mater how much free exercise she gets," I suppose that might well be how she was brought on. Know that I make a point of allowing mine tons of free range time in the country, which I think helps develop independent search (instead of depending me for direction I'm frequently in no position to offer), and it's not at all unusual for mine to range a couple hundred yards or more on our country walks. Your girl may have been brought on much the same, either intentionally or through simple neglect. But if she were mine and I wanted to her to stick around more, I'd provide more handler-oriented activity and less free range time to condition a shift in focus.

...but it seems that she has no desire to please at all... I am looking for advice from any one who has been in this situation and found success.

I've no experience at all with dogs with no desire to please, even those that initially seemed aloof or greeted me with what appeared violent intent, and find it hard to imagine in one "over-interested in other people". But were I you, I'd start by looking in the mirror. Could it be something I am or am not doing?
Rick Hall

Postby denos » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:47 pm

Rick,

I have asked that question over and over. I have tried different approaches, different environments, different routines.

I have looked for the key to connect with this dog (I am committed to seeing it through) some how I can not find the right combination.

I know that I have a dog that is driven and I like that drive. the problem is that there seems to be no off switch.

I have tried more exercise (structured and free roaming) more exercise overstimulates her sometimes to beyond threshold.

less exercise and she gets so restless she simply freaks when she gets off leash.

i have found a medium and stop and leash her when she escalates. yet there seems to be no way to steady this dog.

recall is so so but improving.

heel is manageable when on leash, off leash her drive will take away as soon as something moves or she gets scent.

I live in eastern Massachusetts, if any one knows where affordable help can be found let me know.
denos

Postby Rick Hall » Wed May 01, 2019 11:15 am

Hopefully someone will be able to help with finding hands-on help. (The view through a computer monitor is mighty blurry.)

Am on the Gulf Coast, and can only wish you best of luck with it.
Rick Hall

Postby jdavis92 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:27 pm

I don't see it mentioned, so I'll ask.

Does this dog seem food motivated? Have you tried enticing her to comply with food?

I'm just trying to think of things that might be more important to her and might generate excitement towards you.

Jeff in Flagstaff
jdavis92

Postby denos » Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 pm

yes she is totally food motivated to a fault counter surfing and trash.and also prey driven.

I have an issue with food training. i think that a dog should do it out of devotion and not for rewards. it is a stuck up stubborn attitude that I may need to reconsider. the problem is that I spend a lot of time away from home with this dog and I have not been consistent with carrying rewards all the time and as you know inconsistency is a problem with training.

One of the biggest problems is that her drive never lets up too much exercise and she gets over threshold, too little and she gets pent up and needs way too much time to settle down.

I found a new resource in the are and i hope to get in touch with him for an evaluation
denos

Next

Return to Chat