Prince's Maiden Voyage

For all your photographic masterpieces. General, Dock Diving, Agility, Hunt/Field Test, Show & Anything Inbetween.

Prince's Maiden Voyage

Postby LA Ducks » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:55 am

My hunting buddy and I decided to take my 7 month puppy hunting in the swamp behind my house. We shot 1 wood duck and the dog got to watch the bird hovering in the trees, mark the fall, and make a retrieve in cover. We decided to take him in the marsh the next morning (Johnson Bayou, LA) where he could get a little more action. I didn't expect a whole bunch from him because of where I'm at with his training, but he did well considering. His blind manners were near perfect, especially for his young age. If he marked a bird down, he retrieved the bird. I had to get out of the blind several times and give him a hand. The pup also got to deal with several cripples and one that kept diving on him, he hung in there and caught them! My curly brown buddy picked up 12 ducks and a goose and I couldn't be happier considering we still have a ways to go in training. I believe Prince enjoyed his preview of his future occupation as a duck dog!

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LA Ducks

Re: Prince's Maiden Voyage

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:00 pm

Great fun watching them put it together.
Rick Hall

Postby LA Ducks » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:21 am

Rick Hall wrote:Great fun watching them put it together.

Yessir, it is definitely nice to watch. I think the funniest part of the hunt was on one of the first birds of the morning, a very lively crippled teal. Right before he climbed in the blind he set the bird down and instantly the duck shot under the blind and out the back! The look on his face was priceless! He had that look like, "I know I set it down here, where on earth did it go"! He never set another one down until I took it from him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LA Ducks

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Yep, there's a lesson there.
Rick Hall

Return to Just Photos