Wanted: A Female Chesapeake, Future Litter Preferable

Puppies for sale. Any goods or services offered on this Web site are not the liability of Team Chesapeake:PeakeTalk, its owners, or its agents. Any or all guarantees will be the responsibility of the seller. By clicking on the "Puppy Ads" link, you agree to these terms. Minimum requirement for posting a litter is listing the status of Degenerative Myelopathy testing results of Sire and Dam. Effective 11-30-08 Billy Smith

Wanted: A Female Chesapeake, Future Litter Preferable

Postby Tim Trowbridge » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:03 pm

I'm pretty new to this forum but was on the previous forum for a couple of years. I've been an avid Chesapeake person since 1988. I had to give up two Chessies when I left for Basic Training and one , my female had epilepsy, and her brother died two or three weeks later. I got a Male CBR from a breeder in Danville, KY but had to give them both to my Grandma before leaving for BMT. So, finally after I had looked long and hard to find the right breeder, I connected with Mrs. Janet Morris from Penrose Kennels. I had contacted several well known breeders for many years before I decided to go with Penrose Kennels. I've been very happy with my dog since. He's solid brown and about 90 lbs. He has superb qualities for the show and excellent hunt and prey drive for scent work. He turns three this January and I've been patiently waiting to find the right breeder to get his running mate. I do intend to breed them eventually, but that's not the purpose at this time, possibly two or three years down the road, and ONLY if their health is without blemish. I don't hunt, and I don't show handle (yet, all though I'd love to learn more about both from experienced hunters and show handlers) I work him on scent work under guidelines in the NSDA, and she'll likely be worked the same way depending on her traits. I also work with some in IPO. I'd like to look at doing service work as well, but I've got to start with two strong dogs and I've got one half of that equation.

Penrose Bron Yr Aur (Indy) was whelped 1/27/14 by Sire: Penrose Wise Guy and Dam: Penrose Jump Ship (Penrose Kennels). I'm under the impression most reputable breeders put requirements on selling a pup called limited registration and full registration. I'm not a big fan of that. I'm really interested in getting a female from someone who looks at Health, Temperament and Confirmation first and foremost. I haven't personally seen a Chesapeake yet that didn't have high drive. The Dam and Sire must be DM Clear, as well as hips and eyes, and other illnesses. I'd love to get one this winter, but I'm patient if you have a litter planned later. The most important thing to me is finding the right breeder. Thank you for your interest! Have a great day! Tim
Tim Trowbridge

Re: Wanted: A Female Chesapeake, Future Litter Preferable

Postby Kathy Miller » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:56 pm

Where are you located? Sounds like you might be in England. That information is very helpful for referrals.
Kathy Miller
Sandy Oak Chesapeakes
www.sandyoakcbr.com
sndyoak@aol.com
Kathy Miller

Postby Tim Trowbridge » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:09 pm

Kathy Miller wrote:Where are you located? Sounds like you might be in England. That information is very helpful for referrals.

I'm actually in Indianapolis. I looked at Pond Hollow, Silvercreek, etc ... before I saw Janet's kennel. I would be bringing another one of her's across the pond but the lineage is too close at this point. Possibly later, that's why I'm throwing a line in the water here. I'd like to get that kind of quality here but I just haven't see it yet, I'm sure as many that's in this group I'll possibly come up with a very good bitch.
Tim Trowbridge

Postby Pat Puwal » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Since your male is out of Janet Morris' breeding why don't you just contact her and ask her to recommend a breeder. She has been involved with Chesapeakes for many years and knows the bloodlines.
Pat Puwal

Postby PamSpears » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Pat Puwal wrote:Since your male is out of Janet Morris' breeding why don't you just contact her and ask her to recommend a breeder. She has been involved with Chesapeakes for many years and knows the bloodlines.

Pat has a great idea. Maybe Janet Morris can suggest US bloodlines that she things will complement your male and you can go from there. Since you're considering breeding, that ought to be your first consideration.
PamSpears

Postby moscowitz » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:25 pm

The question is why are you considering breeding? What does your dogs bring to the gene pool other than you like your dog?
moscowitz

Postby Tim Trowbridge » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:07 pm

Thanks for the information, and responses. Pat - Janet and I have discussed this several times, but to this point the lineage is a bit too close, so that's why I'm looking at someone here in the states who has the same kinds of breeding quality when it comes to health, temperament and confirmation. I think she puts a tremendous amount of time and energy into picking the right dog for her breeding, let alone recommending one for someone else.
Tim Trowbridge

Postby Tim Trowbridge » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:55 pm

moscowitz wrote:The question is why are you considering breeding? What does your dogs bring to the gene pool other than you like your dog?

Honestly, I love the breed and want to ensure that when I pair my dog up he's paired with a healthy female, great temperament, and excellent confirmation. At this point I don't intend to breed mine for at least two to three years down the road, if I breed him at all. I just want to have a strong healthy Chesapeake that looks like a Chesapeake instead of a german wire-haired pointer. :D

"What does my dog bring to the gene pool?" A great set of bollocks ... seriously, did you even bother to read the posts?
Tim Trowbridge

Postby Sharon Potter » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:04 am

There are lots of breeders all over the USA and Canada who raise healthy, correctly built Chessies that fit the breed standard. I've never seen one that looked anything like a GWP. ;)
Sharon Potter

Return to Puppy Ads