2016 September teal...

Share your hunting stories and pictures with us!

2016 September teal...

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:53 am

Our September teal season saw a changing of the guard of sorts, with my long time and now deaf partner, Peake, retiring from commercial guiding but remaining my favorite companion when it's just us guys:

And while slowed by an awful lot of mighty tough miles, he still enjoys that role:

Taking over commercial duties in the warm, active gator month of September put young Marsh in the unfamiliar position almost never being allowed to retrieve when his marks went down but, instead, having to wait to be portaged across deep, potentially dangerous water by boat to gather what fell in the floating marsh around our tiny pothole:

His lone water retrieve in the marsh being a lively cripple too close to the blind for a finishing shot that wouldn't destroy it:

And I can't say I was keen on even that little deep water time in gator territory, though I'd bet something nice Marsh preferred the swimming to the lunging and plunging water created by "historic" flooding of the farm land where we initially took afternoon parties:

That misery coupled with some of the sorriest shooting we've seen was unraveling his handing until we moved our afternoon hunting to a shallower spot on the high end of the farm where the going was more pleasant:

Well, except for the ruts:

In all, we enjoyed the company of old friends and made some new ones (who were too often surprised to meet such a friendly Chesapeake) and "passed a fine time".
Rick Hall

Re: 2016 September teal...

Postby Sharon Potter » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:13 am

Great pics! Love the one with all the empty hulls. :)
Sharon Potter

Postby barenn » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:08 pm

Excellent pic's!
barenn

Postby LA Ducks » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:59 am

Nice pics Rick, glad y'all got on some birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LA Ducks

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:08 am

We were absolutely blessed compared to many folks. Our camp's only huntable ag land piece that wasn't sublet or on loan to others with unhuntable sublets was covered in duck salad that out drew the umpteen thousand acres of surrounding flooded rice, and crazy numbers of birds and, last count I heard, ten bands were taken there. (Cyber scouts might note there's incredible pressure in that area, it's more than highly unlikely that party will extend far into the big season and will be gone with the duck salad next year. But, my, was it fun for a while.)

The marsh where I made all but one of my morning hunts was generally much slower and especially so on weekdays when there was little pressure pushing birds from the rice. And I credit much of the success we enjoyed there to crazy aggressive tolling tactics and a remarkable streak of guests who knew how to run a gun making the most of what came by: https://www.waterfowlforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=7821
Rick Hall

Postby Russell Huffman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:45 pm

You always have great pics and stories to go with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russell Huffman

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Russell Huffman wrote:You always have great pics and stories to go with them

Only because we get to go a lot.
Rick Hall

Return to Hunting Stories & Pictures