Correct health clearancesand when to get them?

Information regarding breeding, and reproduction.

Correct health clearancesand when to get them?

Postby RShockley » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:53 am

When looking at health clearances for Chesapeakes that you intend to breed:

1. Which clearances are considered standard practice or most important for the breed?
2. Other tests that are considered as great additional options
3. And when in you pups life should you be looking to get each clearance preformed.

My current pup is still young and I have no idea if breeding would be in my future. I am hopeful he will one day proves to be a beneficial breeding candidate for the breed but I am also not rushing into the idea with pointless wishful thinking. I just want to iron out what would need to be done to get to that point on health clearances. Thank you for any info you can provide.
RShockley

Re: Correct health clearancesand when to get them?

Postby BrianK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:35 pm

Hip / Eye certifications and then knowing the genetics (DM, EIC, and PRA) carrier vs clear (hopefully none of these are affected) are the main clearances. A carrier of any of these genetic diseases does not and should disqualify the dog from a breeding program. It should validate you need to go to a clear to avoid having any of the pups being affected in one of these genetic related diseases.

Long Coat, Thyroid, and cardiac tests are other tests I see being done. (have done the Long Coat myself due to purchasing a carrier)

Hips can be certified by OFA after 24 months of age. Recommend getting them done soon after turning two years old.

Eyes can be done at any time. Usually makes sense to do them at 1 yrs old and approx. ever year after to validate the eyes do not go bad to early in a dogs life span.

If you know the pup comes from a pair that has Genetic tests completed and know the results, your pup/dog/bitch can be done anytime before picking the other half of the breeding pair. If you do not know the genetic clearances then I would do this before any other tests. If the pup is an affected dog I would not recommend breeding at all and you would save on all other testing costs.
BrianK

Re: Correct health clearancesand when to get them?

Postby RShockley » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:31 am

Thank you!
RShockley

Return to Breeding