Age for breeding?

Information regarding breeding, and reproduction.

Re: Age for breeding?

Postby tbriggs8 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:43 pm

ginnyreed wrote:here are the akc facts
OVERAGE/UNDERAGE SIRES
AND DAMS
Chapter 3, Section 5 of the
Rules Applying to
Registration and Discipline
reads as follows:
“No dog or litter out of a dam under eight (8) months
or over twelve (12) years of age at the time of
mating, or by a sire under seven (7) months or over
twelve (12) years of age at the time of mating, will
be registered unless the application for registration
shall be accompanied by an affidavit or evidence
which shall prove the fact to the satisfaction of The
American Kennel Club.”

This is what i was looking for thanks.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
tbriggs8
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Re: Age for breeding?

Postby tbriggs8 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:09 pm

Sharon Potter wrote:tbriggs, I wasn't trying to insult your dog and I'm not sure what opinion I gave that has upset you.

I simply stated the acceptable age that responsible breeders will start using their dogs for breeding, and the requirements that go with that. While AKC does register dogs from underage litters, keep in mind that they also allow disqualifying traits by registering crossbreds as purebreds, as in silver "labradors", and I could register a goat as a dog and they wouldn't know.

I shouldn't have made comment on my dog and given room for your last paragraph of the original post. I just take exception to your condescending tone in said paragraph. i.e. "Everybody loves their dog and thinks it's the best, which is great. But there's a lot more to consider when thinking of breeding". I understand there is a breed standard to uphold and was planning on going through the correct steps to make everything legitimate and further the breed and pedigree. If he didn't cut the mustard I was going to cut him so I didn't have to deal with other dogs in heat, etc. I just needed the information I was asking for and got it from another post. If I was wondering what the community thought of him I would have asked specifically. Thank you.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
tbriggs8
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Re: Age for breeding?

Postby moscowitz » Tue May 10, 2016 12:46 am

Mr. Briggs I am a Sharon Potter fan and your responses are rud and uncalled for. You need to re read your post. "He picks up things nice and has a good temperament I'm going to breed him. " And you want to know why people who respect the breed responded the way they did. Yes this post is a waste of time on you. But put an FC on your dog then we can talk.
moscowitz
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Age for breeding?

Postby tbriggs8 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:55 am

moscowitz wrote:Mr. Briggs I am a Sharon Potter fan and your responses are rud and uncalled for. You need to re read your post. "He picks up things nice and has a good temperament I'm going to breed him. " And you want to know why people who respect the breed responded the way they did. Yes this post is a waste of time on you. But put an FC on your dog then we can talk.

You're right your post means nothing. I have no idea who you people are and could care less about Sharon Potter as a breeder. Like I said I should have left the comments about my dog out of my inquiry. Good day to you.


Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
tbriggs8
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Re: Age for breeding?

Postby Sharon Potter » Tue May 10, 2016 2:29 am

tbriggs,

Again, I wasn't trying to suggest your dog isn't good. Nothing was said or directed toward your individual dog...it was a generalization. I'd have given the same response even if you hadn't mentioned the attributes he has that you like, and I've given similar replies to a lot of other new people, as have many others involved in our breed.

You'll find that the Chessie folks are a really good group and pretty close-knit, and very protective of our breed, which is one of only a very few that still look and work much the same as they did a century ago. Which is why we tend to bring up stuff like this when new folks ask questions about breeding their dogs.

You'll find that a polite approach will gain you a whole bunch of friends and mentors, happy to help answer questions about anything you may have. That's why we're here. :)

Shall we start over? :)
Sharon Potter
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:18 am

Re: Age for breeding?

Postby tbriggs8 » Tue May 10, 2016 3:20 am

Sharon Potter wrote:tbriggs,

Again, I wasn't trying to suggest your dog isn't good. Nothing was said or directed toward your individual dog...it was a generalization. I'd have given the same response even if you hadn't mentioned the attributes he has that you like, and I've given similar replies to a lot of other new people, as have many others involved in our breed.

You'll find that the Chessie folks are a really good group and pretty close-knit, and very protective of our breed, which is one of only a very few that still look and work much the same as they did a century ago. Which is why we tend to bring up stuff like this when new folks ask questions about breeding their dogs.

You'll find that a polite approach will gain you a whole bunch of friends and mentors, happy to help answer questions about anything you may have. That's why we're here. :)

Shall we start over? :)

I'll agree to start over. Onward.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
tbriggs8
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Re: Age for breeding?

Postby ChessieFarm » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:06 pm

A fellow breeder had an accidental breeding with her young male, and wasn't able to register the litter. She mentioned he was under 1 year old, but it may have been under 7 months.

Craig
chesapeakefarmnc
ChessieFarm
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Age for breeding?

Postby u_cant_rope_the_wind » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:05 pm

Sharon Potter wrote:tbriggs, I wasn't trying to insult your dog and I'm not sure what opinion I gave that has upset you.

I simply stated the acceptable age that responsible breeders will start using their dogs for breeding, and the requirements that go with that. While AKC does register dogs from underage litters, keep in mind that they also allow disqualifying traits by registering crossbreds as purebreds, as in silver "labradors", and I could register a goat as a dog and they wouldn't know.

I'M sorry but this really made me laugh
I can just imagine this
someone registering a goat as a dog
this really stuck my funny bone
thank you for the laugh
u_cant_rope_the_wind
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:53 pm

Previous

Return to Breeding

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest