Hips and genetic testing

Hips and genetic testing

Postby Payce » Sat May 28, 2016 12:43 pm

General question. How early do most of you have the health checks done? Wait until 2 years old and do hips and elbows, then follow up with the genetic tests, DM, EIC, PRA? Or do preliminary hips and/or genetic testing earlier? Things that seem to impact the decision:
Is the dog a single home dog for hunting and companionship?
Will the dog ever be used for breeding?
Will the dog be a competition dog, hunt test or field trial?

In our case, we have a 8 month old pup that will be primarily a hunting dog/companion and hope to do some off season hunt tests. No plans on breeding at this time. Not sure in our case we need to do anything short term. Been thinking about the genetic tests, but even if the results showed she was affected (DM, EIC for example) not sure it would change much what we are doing. On hips, some do preliminary tests (penn, OFA). How reliable are the early tests? In the end if we ever did decided to breed her, we would have all the correct tests done first and right now do plan on having her hips done at two to better understand her own long term outlook.

Not a major concern either way right now, but input always appreciated. Had a great boss and friend that always said, there isn't any one of us as smart as all of us......I understand it's an old quote, but it seems to apply often in life.

Payce
Payce

Re: Hips and genetic testing

Postby Sharon Potter » Sun May 29, 2016 3:44 am

If I'm keeping or buying a pup for breeding potential, I will usually go ahead with genetic clearances right away, assuming there's a possibility of being a carrier for something. You should be able to have a pretty good idea on the genetic stuff based on the sire and dam's clearances. DM, PRA, EIC.

Some people will do an OFA hip prelim or Penn Hip earlier than two years just to know how things are looking before investing a ton of time and money in training, then do a final OFA after age two. I normally wait until the dog turns two and then get OFAs done, unless something seems wonky and then I'll do prelims. Only had one that just didn't seem right, did prelims, and he had one bad wheel. I neutered and placed him in a pet/hunting home, where he has done very well for several years.
Sharon Potter

Postby Payce » Mon May 30, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks Sharon. As always sound advice. Wondered about doing the hips early. We'll just wait until two and do hips, elbows, and probably DNA. She, like so many, has a great personality, is constantly thinking, and at the same time....has a mind of her own.
Payce
Payce

Postby tbriggs8 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:20 pm

2 years is when is recommended. You can also refer to the debacle I posted on here. There is some good info on there also. You just have to sort through some moaning.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
tbriggs8

Return to General Health