what are we seeing in Chesapeake Bay retrievers eye health

what are we seeing in Chesapeake Bay retrievers eye health

Postby ginnyreed » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Just for discussion.
The Golden Retrievers have many different eye problems some can be DNA tested for and some not, same for the Labrador Retriever with the dwarfism gene thought to be linked with an eye problem - retinal folds I believe it is.

I am a stickler for getting my dog's eyes checked yearly and having the prcd PRA test done. My Dad had eye problems and knowing what he endured I don't want that in my dogs if possible.

SO I am asking all of you--- what eye problems have you come across- distichiasis, entropian, punctuate cataracts, juvenile cataracts, prcd PRA, late onset PRA, retinal folds, persistent pupillary membranes, corneal ulcers, and such? Is one worse than another in your mind?
ginnyreed

Re: what are we seeing in Chesapeake Bay retrievers eye heal

Postby ginnyreed » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:02 pm

I will start
I do not think entropion is as bad a problem as having say prcd Pra because the animal can have surgery to correct the entropion and never have a problem post surgery. If the animal has/had entropion itself I would not use it in a breeding program.

the cataracts I don't know enough about the cataracts in dogs, but I know about them in humans- again there is a way to repair/remove the cataracts but how successful is that surgery on a dog? I would not knowingly use that animal in a breeding program.

I was surprised at the most recent eye evaluation of one of my Chessies, the vet did not look at the dogs age on the paper but stated the dog had young eyes. When we inquired about that statement he said appearance of the eye showed no aging, I would say this animal is under 5 years old- No, it had just turned 8. The vet went on to explain all the varying things the eyes can have as it ages and the vet was pleased not to see any changing in this animal.
ginnyreed

Postby Jim Weitzel » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:13 pm

Ginny,I got one that had both entropian and distichia..a few thousand dollars and he was fixed....worth every penny to me...he is the only Peake that I've had that have had any problems with.Jim
Jim Weitzel

Postby Gina Downin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:40 pm

I'm coming to this rather late, but, better late than never. The only thing that's ever come up on the eye exams of any of my dogs is distichiasis (fine, soft eyelashes that grow inside the eyelid). Though they say they can cause a dog's eyes to tear up, that has not been the case with my dog. I have noticed that they seem to be highly heritable. I think that I would be careful to not breed two dogs together with this condition.

Entropian also seems to be highly heritable and causes significant irritation to the dog's eyes until the pups are old enough to have the condition surgically repaired. I've come across it a great deal in my rescue work and when we know the breeding of the dog, we can see how it persists in some lines.

For my own education, I need to know more about the different kinds of cataracts...which ones are known to grow and affect vision...which ones are proven to be heritable. When researching stud dogs, I often run across dogs with a cataract noted on their eye exam, but which are noted as "Breeders Option.' I need to better educate myself so that I know the difference between different types of cataracts and understand the breeding risks.

I also have my dog's eyes examined yearly by an AVCO Ophthalmologist. I think a lot of inexperienced breeders don't understand the importance of regular checks throughout the dog's life.
Gina Downin

Postby BrianK » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Like Gina... Stepping into this discussion a little while after the original post. However, I think it is important to share experiences.

We are fairly good about having regular eye checks with our dogs. We learned the veterinarian doing the eye cert is extremely important. Not all vets specializing in ophthalmology have the same views on what is passing and not passing. A vet that will take the time to describe the dogs eyes you is what you want. The vet that just says pass or fail you should stay away from. We had a vet fail one of our dogs eye exams. He went further to tell us that the dog must be or will be in a lot of pain because his lens was about to fall out of place. He recommended an approx. 10,000 dollar surgery to correct the issue. For that kind of money we decided to have a second opinion. The second vet specializing in ophthalmology looked at the dogs eyes and told us that he was not in danger of having the lens fall out of place. The dog was also in no pain at all and no risk of future pain. She told us that the dog has a single rod that did not connect to the lens. There was no fraying to the rod so it was most likely a birth defect. We gave her the dogs history from the time of whelp. We also had multiple check ups in six months intervals to monitor the eye. There was no change over a year and half. The dog was given a passing eye cert with a breeder option code. We will continue to take the dog back for exams on an approx. yearly schedule. We used the dog in a breeding and had a great litter of pups. We also took the pre-caution of taking the first litter the dog was used in breeding to the vet at seven weeks of age. The pups all came back with clear eyes.

An ophthalmologist should absolutely be able to describe your dogs eyes to you. If the dog has an opacity the vet should be able to tell you the type of cataract and give you an idea of how and if it will effect your dog's site over time. If you only get an answer of pass or fail from the ophthalmologist, you need to have a second opinion and I would suggest finding a new ophthalmologist for your eye certifications.
BrianK

Return to General Health