Ear infections after swimming?

Ear infections after swimming?

Postby poteskeet » Fri May 27, 2016 1:39 pm

Anyone had experience with, and advice on, dealing with a 14 mo old peake that gets ear infections every time he swims? My regular vet is out of town for a month and the other vet in the office suggested no swimming. Not very practical for a hunting retriever.
Thanks for any help.
poteskeet

Re: Ear infections after swimming?

Postby tbriggs8 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:37 pm

poteskeet wrote:Anyone had experience with, and advice on, dealing with a 14 mo old peake that gets ear infections every time he swims? My regular vet is out of town for a month and the other vet in the office suggested no swimming. Not very practical for a hunting retriever.
Thanks for any help.

I googled it and found this. Its not to replace what your vet would say but I think it might help. http://news.petmeds.com/news/pet-health ... ving-dogs/

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
tbriggs8

Postby moscowitz » Fri May 27, 2016 7:13 pm

Ear infections can be a pain. I might keep the dog out until I get control of the infection. Then once it clears up I would clean his ears daily and wipe them dry when you are done working water. I would also consult with a vet who understands the training of our dogs.
moscowitz

Postby Frank Pittelli » Fri May 27, 2016 8:09 pm

We've had Springer Spaniels and Chessies for 30+ years that swim almost everyday. After every swim we put a mixture of equal parts Apple Cider Vinegar and Alcohol in each ear to prevent infections before they happen. We always keep a squeeze bottle of the stuff at home and in the dog truck.
Frank Pittelli

Postby Frank Pittelli » Fri May 27, 2016 8:13 pm

Want to emphasize that the mixture is for prevention. Once an infection develops, use what the vet prescribes to clear the infection itself. Once cleared, use the vinegar and alcohol mixture to keep the ears clean and dry.
Frank Pittelli

Postby poteskeet » Fri May 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks folks. I sure do appreciate it.
poteskeet

Postby Millahardman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 am

Here are some home remedies for your dog .
1.The first one is a 50/50 mixture of water and 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. This is not really an anti-bacterial, but works well to break up and remove wax.
2.The other one is a 50/50 mixture of water and white vinegar. This is an astringent and somewhat anti-bacterial. The acidity makes it hard for some bacteria to grow, but because of this, will no doubt sting and be painful if used in ears that are red, ulcerated or infected. Again, this can be used as a routine ear cleaning and maintenance after swimming or bathing.
Millahardman

Return to General Health