Senior Food

Senior Food

Postby Oaksdad » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:56 am

My Chessie will be 11 years old in April. The last few months he has become extremely gassy. Bathroom habits haven't changed, he eats and behaves normally. There's no belly issues and his recent vet visits show he's in great shape. I've fed the best food I can afford (26p/12f/4.5 fiber), the same brand, consistently, his whole life. The same brand of senior food is 28p/12f/4.5 fiber. It's getting to where we are awakened in the night by the smell. Again, the vet says he's fine, but we never discussed senior food - brain fart on my part :? .

At 11yo he's stillall puppy, playful and very energetic. He just gets up a lot slower in the mornings.

Has anyone dealt with similar issues and has a transition to senior food made a difference? I fear the increase in protein will just exacerbate the situation.

Thanks all.
Oaksdad

Re: Senior Food

Postby Sharon Potter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:54 am

Possibly it's the ingredients? What brand are you feeding?
Sharon Potter

Postby Oaksdad » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:25 am

Sharon Potter wrote:Possibly it's the ingredients? What brand are you feeding?

Purina One SmartBlend large breed adult
Oaksdad

Postby Sharon Potter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:45 pm

I'd try a different brand of food (changing gradually over maybe a week). I wouldn't worry too much about using a senior food....that's more marketing than anything else. Maybe try something in the higher quality end as well...Purina One is a mid grade food at best.
Sharon Potter

Return to General Health