Introduction...

Introduction...

Postby shepeake » Fri May 12, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi everyone,
I haven't been active on this site in a long time so I'd like to reintroduce myself :)
My name is Mary Murray. I live in Ireland and myself and my Husband got our first Chesapeake just 15 years ago, ( he is still thankfully with us ). Our kennel name is Riverrun.
We hunt with our dogs during the winter months and they also work on 2 driven shoots here in Ireland. During the summer months we are kept busy showing our dogs and I also compete with them in retriever working tests.
Most chesapeakes , here in Ireland, are still used primarily by wildfowlers who hunt around Lough Foyle and Lough neagh in the North and all along the Shannon basin in the midlands. As such you never see them around any competitions so it's difficult to guage just how many there are in Ireland.
Currently my main competition dog is my 5 year old bitch, Riverrun Caution to the Wind. Her sire is American ,,,his name is Sugartrees Moosepond Gunner. She is a full Irish Champion, ( that is she passed her field trial qualifier on driven game to drop the SH from her title ), a UK Show Champion and is currently running advanced level retriever working tests. When we compete in retriever tests here it is always against labs...there might be one or two goldens...so as you can imagine for a Chessie to place in these competitions they really need to be better than the labs. So far this year Uisce has placed 3rd and 1st in novice and a 4th place in Advanced two weeks ago earned her a place on the Irish International team to compete at two gamefairs this summer. This is the first time a Chessie will compete on a team here.
Needless to say we are having a lot of fun at the moment....long may it continue...
shepeake

Re: Introduction...

Postby Jim Weitzel » Fri May 12, 2017 3:01 pm

I remember you,wondered where you went?You had some interesting perspectives on training and some really neat pics.Welcome back.Jim
Jim Weitzel

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Best of luck at the gamefairs.
Rick Hall

Postby shepeake » Fri May 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks Jim and Rick.... Jim, some that know me would still think I have some 'interesting' perspectives on training but they work for me. I have learned that although Chessies learn differently from labs.... Lab People are the best ones to train with. They push you on, a good trainer will know when to push on and when to cool off and I am lucky in Ireland that the best lab men are very accessible and open to minor breeds. Without their support I wouldn't have had the courage to stand alone amongst labs in competition.
shepeake

Postby Sharon Potter » Sat May 13, 2017 3:33 am

Welcome back!
Sharon Potter

Postby mainee » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:08 pm

welcome back!
mainee

Postby Ed Bahr » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:37 pm

Welcome back