UK Study suggests shock collar ban

UK Study suggests shock collar ban

Postby Shammy97 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:53 am

The UK study concluded that using electric shock collars to train dogs doesn't work and 'positive reinforcement' is a better tool, a new study found.

Researchers from the University of Lincoln looked at the value of training dogs with and without remote electronic collars compared to positive reinforcement.

More than 60 dogs with 'off-lead behavioural problems' were involved in the study that focused on a dogs' ability to respond to commands 'come' and 'sit'. . .

The findings have been published in the journal Frontiers in Veterinary Science.

Thoughts?
Shammy97

Re: UK Study suggests shock collar ban

Postby Tim Carrion » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:50 am

Thoughts?
-well written
-small sample size
- short term training, short term study, no collar conditioning, total training 5 days and less than 150 min/dog
- dogs were within 1 meter of handler for 70% of evaluation. e-collar would have greater effect at greater distances
- no report of long term follow-up. Was the behavior sustained?
Tim Carrion

Postby Shammy97 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:32 pm

PETCO has announced that it is stopping sales of electronic collars. It is a shame. Electronic collars used judiciously are exceptional training tools. I suspect this is just the beginning. Much like Walmart and Dick's Sporting stopping sales of handgun ammo. All very PC.
Shammy97

Postby casjoker » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:51 am

I would say the sample size is small for sure, if I read correctly only 63 dogs. They only worked on two commands (sit/come) for a very short time so no way of knowing if the results lasted. Also, some of the easiest to use positive reinforcement with. I am guessing you would need to look at using less and less treats as commands reaction improves. Same as I would with an e-collar as commands become more solidified the less it gets used.

Study was done in an area were e-collars are already banned I am guessing you could argue there would be bias.

One would also have to ask were the people using an e-collar properly trained and were the dogs properly conditioned?

All of the dogs I have owned or worked with became collar wise but not sure the PR method wouldn't have similar issues.

I think I agree positive reinforcement works better for a lot of commands. However, how are you going to positive reward a remote sit when the dog is 200 yards away, ride out on my 4 wheeler to deliver a treat? Maybe I should invent a new remote collar that dispenses treats when the dog does what I want, they would probably still get collar wise. :lol:
casjoker

Return to Chat