Why Chessies

Why Chessies

Postby Payce » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 pm

There are times in life for reflection. Without getting all philosophical, for me the last two months have been that type of time. Times that you slow down and think about “things” and “whys”.

Fact is, if your on this forum you’re a Chessie person. The question is why? Everyone around you training dogs is probably a Lab person or a GR owner. There are few of us.

Mr Hall you summarized your reasons in an earlier post which I read this morning and got me thinking again why I have a female laying at my feet. For me, the passion is hunting, first upland and then waterfowl. I’ve had only two Chessies and they shared a couple of traits that will keep me with the breed from here on, prey drive and tough as nails. They both always hunt, even when I shouldn’t have hunted them. They remind me of the best hounds I had as a younger man...the “have to do this as it’s in their blood” attitude. I know if I’m able to go, so is my Chessie.

How about each of you? Why Chessies?
Payce

Re: Why Chessies

Postby Tim Carrion » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:22 pm

" The Chesapeake, with its arresting yellow-eyed gaze and its legendary origins involving market hunters and rescue from a shipwreck, enjoys undeniable mystique.Chesapeakes tend to be deeply devoted and very responsive to verbal and physical praise. They can convey with a gesture that simply to be in the presence of their master is the greatest privilege in the world. Chesapeake owners are accordingly loyal to their dogs and unimpressed by other breeds, however flashy." (John Dahl, The Big 3 Breeds)

I started with CBRs as a child, went to Labs for a little while but came back. When asked once by a judge why I went back I told her "I found out anybody can train lab I want something special".

Tim
Tim Carrion

Postby sandysylvester » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Mine started about 5-6 years ago I took a trip up to Canada to learn some advanced competition taxidermy methods. He had a female chessie named Sadie. My lord, what a scary dog! Very protective, I would bet she would bite if owner not around and approached.
Not really sure how it happened, but we formed a strong bond. She followed me everywhere, and that was it. We were best buddies!

Fast fwd I now have my first boy whom I love dearly. Sure I have made plenty of mistakes, but we are a team. He is everything I expected. I do at times have a hard time not comparing my lab friends and I on where we are in training, but to be honest? In the long run it doesn't matter.

That personal bond, devotion, intelligence and maybe sometimes even the challenge is all I need! 8-)
sandysylvester

Postby Jim Weitzel » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Why??????Because the chessies today resemble what the lab was 50 yrs ago.You all can ponder that but ill bet they only a couple here (Mr.Tim being one)that has seen enough to know what I am talking about.

And Mr. Payce,youll never guess what competition is doing to the tree hounds nowadays......it will make you puke! Jim
Jim Weitzel

Postby Payce » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Jim I’ve heard. Did nite hunts in my day, but was already getting to be a racket and that was 35+ years ago. Mainly hunted with friends just to enjoy listening to a solid dog work out a tough track. Corn field races on a cool September nite also great fun. Funny how many of us in our youth hunted behind hounds and now hunt behind Chessies. Got to love em. They are a different breed. As mentioned before, even my little gal Sky has drive and no quit. If I can hunt so can she, in fact when she was 1 it was -15 one morning and a buddy called about a pheasant hunt. Had to tell him Sky would go, but I didn’t want to. We went when it hit 0 and she caught a rooster that day before it flew. Never did get above 3 degrees and never bothered her a bit. Kept an eye on her feet, that was my main concern. From what I’ve seen that’s nothing special for Chessies. They all go when asked. Saw my son’s 11 year old male that could barely see and deaf make a 200 yard retrieve on a running rooster. His last retrieve and he made it happen. I’ll never forget that dog coming back to my son. Slow to return, but so happy to bring that bird to my son. They had a special bond. The old guy never went hunting again.

No doubt there are and have been great Labs, Golden’s, and many other bird dogs over the years and not trying to take away anything from them. Chessies.....just seem to have no quit in them.
Payce

Postby Sharon Potter » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:43 am

For me, Chessies have that never say quit attitude, and such strength of instinct! And they are really good judges of character. ;)

When people ask me the difference between Labs and Chessies, I tell them Labs were bred to follow directions...Chessies were bred to follow their instincts.

As a former nite hunt competitor with my Walker hounds it was already getting bad when I was running hounds back in the mid 90s...sounds like it's gotten a lot worse. :(
Sharon Potter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:42 am

Drought year here, and I just finished putting the first grind on what remains of my duck "pond":
025b.jpg
025b.jpg (135.23 KiB) Viewed 938 times

022b.jpg
022b.jpg (90.32 KiB) Viewed 938 times

Hope to fool the birds with what looks like water and am anxious to see if the young Chessie handles it as well as his uncle did:
2011-2012hunting007-5b.jpg
2011-2012hunting007-5b.jpg (77.58 KiB) Viewed 938 times

But though I tend to think and have been known to utter aloud, "Chesapeake," when they're doing serious work, I don't know that it's in the breed so much as having been conditioned to it.
Rick Hall

Postby sandysylvester » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Interesting. I used to hunt Redbones and Blueticks...Now have a chessie as well.. 8-)
sandysylvester

Postby Russell Huffman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:46 pm

Tim Carrion wrote:" The Chesapeake, with its arresting yellow-eyed gaze and its legendary origins involving market hunters and rescue from a shipwreck, enjoys undeniable mystique.Chesapeakes tend to be deeply devoted and very responsive to verbal and physical praise. They can convey with a gesture that simply to be in the presence of their master is the greatest privilege in the world. Chesapeake owners are accordingly loyal to their dogs and unimpressed by other breeds, however flashy." (John Dahl, The Big 3 Breeds)

I started with CBRs as a child, went to Labs for a little while but came back. When asked once by a judge why I went back I told her "I found out anybody can train lab I want something special".

Tim

Awesome quote Tim. I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russell Huffman

Return to Chat