Chessies and tough snow goose hunting

Re: Chessies and tough snow goose hunting

Postby G. K. Chambers » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 pm

New photo host...click on the thumbnail for full size.

Yesterday we had a morning of a lifetime in South Texas. 148 by 10:30. 2 dogs. The Brown Dog and the Black Gazelle were both give out and stove up by the time we were done. My observation is that enthusiasm wanes and physical exhaustion sets in after the first 60 retrieves.

There was some lively shooting.
G. K. Chambers

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:44 pm

That's a whole lot of fajitas. Been wondering where our resident light goose guy was. Good to see you're still out there and at it.
Rick Hall

Postby Payce » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:11 pm

G. K. Chambers wrote:Image
New photo host...click on the thumbnail for full size.

Yesterday we had a morning of a lifetime in South Texas. 148 by 10:30. 2 dogs. The Brown Dog and the Black Gazelle were both give out and stove up by the time we were done. My observation is that enthusiasm wanes and physical exhaustion sets in after the first 60 retrieves.

There was some lively shooting.

Great day of hunting! I had hoped for similar experience in southeastern MO, but the weather didn’t cooperate. Rain and lots of it.
Payce

Postby Craig Klein » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Love hearing those stories Rick. It's easy to tell the guys who have spent the time in the blind. It's fun to hunt with one of those meat dogs that do it everyday. Since I turned "dogs" into my livelihood I haven't had what I would call a great meat dog. I have to many dogs now and like to take turns with them so none of them get enough days afield to gain the experience needed to do some of the things you mention. I did have one back in my single days that your story brought back a flood of memories. His name was Bear and we hunted a ton. We'd spend weeks in the Dakota's together and he was a true predator and was the dog who made me fall in love with the breed.
Some people think of "meat dog" as a derogatory name. Not me. Watching a truly great "meat dog" is as impressive as watching a dog nail a 400 yd retired gun at field trial, both are something special.
www.fischerskennels.com
Pro Staff:
Dogtra
Zink Calls
Avain X
Plano Synergy
Mossy Oak
Craig Klein

Postby Craig Klein » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:05 pm

G.K.

Good to see ya putting the smack down on them, you guys must of been doing something right looks like a lot of adults. My training assistant is in Nebraska attempting to get after them, so far the geese have been winning lol. Hopefully this weather will help them out. Might get a reverse migration which can be alot of fun.
Forcasting 10 plus inches here over the next 24 hours.

Snow goose hunting can be about the most frustrating hunt there is. I have a hard time not swearing when talking about the white devils. But man is it fun when the stars aline and you put the hurt on em.
www.fischerskennels.com
Pro Staff:
Dogtra
Zink Calls
Avain X
Plano Synergy
Mossy Oak
Craig Klein

Previous

Return to Chat