Breed info

Breed info

Postby agb337 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:29 am

I'm lookin for info on the Chessie breed. I have the opportunity to adopt a 1yr old male Chessie, but I don't know much about them. I have experience with Labs and Goldens.

The dog would be a family dog, and do some hunting mostly upland. I have to older childeren 12 & 14, and no other pets, but lots of neibghor dogs. I just trying to find out more about this breed to determine if he would be a good fit.

I have read and herd some things that make me wonder if he would be a good fit. Most of the stuff I have heard comes form online, as I don't have any experience with or know anyone who has a Chessie. Some of my concern include protectiveness, stubborness, and odor.

I havent met this dog inperson, which would probably answer most of my questions. I just looking for some info before I take that step.

Thank you.
agb337

Re: Breed info

Postby Frank Pittelli » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:53 pm

Based on your description of your family, environment, experience and goals I would suggest that you *pass* on the opportunity to adopt a 1yr old male Chessie. Dog adoptions always introduce additional problems, which are amplified when it's an immature Chessie male. These are strong dogs, with equally strong wills. Adoption transition periods are usually challenging, but without any Chessie experience or local support it could be extremely challenging. Throw in multiple children and the risk increases.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Frank Pittelli

Postby Tim Carrion » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:44 pm

http://oakhillkennel.com/library/breeds.html

Check this out. Like every breed CBRs are not for everyone.

I would also need to know the background of the dog: health, training, socialization, and most important WHY is the dog available?

Tim
Tim Carrion

Postby Pat Puwal » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Good advice here. Chesapeake Bay Retriever Relief and Rescue and the ACC Chesapeake Rescue do an amazing job of locating and fitting Chesapeakes and their forever homes. You might want to visit their websites. Here is an article from the Chesapeake Bay Retriever Relief and Rescue that sums up the commitment that is needed to own a Chesapeake. http://www.cbrrescue.org/articles/dontbuy.htm
Pat Puwal

Return to Chat