Teaching Honor alone

Teaching Honor alone

Postby macko2000 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Anyone have any experience with this? My only thought is have a bumoer/dokken/duck thrown by a helper or yourself and make him patiently wait. In addition I have thought I can have a few thrown and then simply walk away with out sending him on the retrieve. Thoughts? I'm still a puppy in the retriever trng world so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Also, anyone have any experience with trng upland? It never crossed my mind until I spent the last 3.5wks in a sling post surgery watching my pup stalk/creep up on butterflies in the yard like a cat, holding a foot or 2 for about 2-3secs, then he busts in their party like the kood-aid guy. Thanks! Take care

Matt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
macko2000

Re: Teaching Honor alone

Postby Tim Carrion » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:48 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do.
It sounds like you are trying to have your dog be steady from a remote position. That is not honoring.
Honoring is having 1 dog sit and watch("honor") another dog work/retrieve. It can be done with 1 person but does require 2 dogs
Tim Carrion

Postby macko2000 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:47 am

Tim Carrion wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do.
It sounds like you are trying to have your dog be steady from a remote position. That is not honoring.
Honoring is having 1 dog sit and watch("honor") another dog work/retrieve. It can be done with 1 person but does require 2 dogs
That's kind of what I figured. But was looking for other ways to help build in the skills required for the honor. I think it is just proper consistent obiedience trng. Been focusing on that and had the opportunity to honor or earlier in the week....he did ok, broke but was able to quickly return him to heel. Didn't break the second time though he wanted to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
macko2000

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:11 am

macko2000 wrote:I think it is just proper consistent obiedience trng.

That's the ticket: "sit means sit," no matter what or where. Get that nailed down in as many distracting and tempting situations (like where dogs or kids are playing) as you possibly can, and you'll probably have the honoring battle pretty well won.
Rick Hall

Return to Chat