Best training books or dvds for cheesies?

Books, DVD's, Websites, etc.

Best training books or dvds for cheesies?

Postby tbar400 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:15 am

Hey everybody, new CBR owner and new at training a retriever from the puppy stage. She is nine weeks old now and I have purchased Tom dokkens retriever books and dvds. I'm wanting to get the best information I possibly can to give myself and my dog the best chance at succes to be a good house dog that doubles as a good waterfowl dog. I don't expect her to attain every title out there but sure would be nice to have a solid retriever. I'm considering buying the basic set smartworks DVD set with puppy from gds to add to my knowledge. I know chessies are a different dog than a lab and everything seems geared for labs. Any input would be excellent on some good things to pick up to study. I appreciate it in advance!
tbar400

Re: Best training books or dvds for cheesies?

Postby Sharon Potter » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Take a good look at Bill Hillmanns' videos. They are low pressure and work very well for Chessies.
Sharon Potter

Postby tbar400 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:02 am

That's not the first time his name has come up. Quite the price tag for the full package at $540. Is it worth it to get the entire series or are some parts more beneficial than others?
tbar400

Postby Sharon Potter » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:26 am

Start with his two puppy DVDs. The Art and Science of Raising a Retriever Puppy, and Training a Retriever Puppy. He also has a lot of short clips on YouTube you can watch for free.
Sharon Potter

Postby tbar400 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:16 pm

Thank you Sharon!
tbar400

Return to Training Resources