Butch Goodwin book

General Training

Butch Goodwin book

Postby chad » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Brand new to forum and want to say hello from Louisiana.Will be acquiring a new chesapeake pup soon and thought it would be great to join this forum, to gain some knowledge about this amazing breed.I am also in the hunt for the book written by Butch Goodwin called Retrievers from the inside out. Any help would be greatly appreciated ,Thanks
chad

Re: Butch Goodwin book

Postby Annabellam » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Welcome to the forum. I thought i saw someone else talking about the group in the forum, or was it you? Would love to read it as well. Unfortunately haven't come across it yet.
Annabellam

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:42 pm

I had it on CD, passed it on along and wouldn't recommend going to much trouble or expense to find a copy. Goodwin seemed a fine fellow, was a Chesapeake guy and had a column in the Retriever Journal, but I found his plainly self-edited RFTIO was very long on anecdote and short on training principle and technique. Also recall thinking his progression badly out of whack.

If there's a one-size-fits-all resource out there, I've missed it, but RFTIO would be near the bottom of the long list I'm familiar with. Sorry, Butch.
Rick Hall

Postby Bay Dog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:41 am

Chad, I have Butch's book. I look at things a little different than some. I look at Butch's book as a resource along with other books, video's and training material that are out there. Read as much as you can, pick people's brain, watch people train, learn from your mistakes and then take the knowledge you gain and apply it. I am a poor trainer compared to most on this forum but I continue to learn. As a "gun dog" guy I personally enjoyed Butch Goodwin's book and have used portions of it to help with road blocks I came up against when working with my Chessies....
Bay Dog

Return to Training