Retrieving

Hints, tips, and discussion in regard to the training of "mini-peakes"

Retrieving

Postby forester » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:09 am

So, I have a now 8 month old that is refusing to fetch. He will charge out to what ever is thrown, mouth it to death and then run with it. If I run away, he follows me until I look back. As soon as I look back, he drops it and goes on to something else. If I put him on a check, as soon as I tug on the check, he drops the item and comes back. If I have him out with a 2nd dog to show as an example, he won't even go out after the item, he just sits there and waits for the other dog to get close and then he just steals the item.

Any suggestions? He has great drive, he seems to enjoy going out to the item, but then...... nada.

Thanks
forester

Re: Retrieving

Postby moscowitz » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:46 am

Patience. Throw walk away keep walking and end it if he doesn't bring it.
moscowitz

Postby Sharon Potter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:08 pm

Is this new behavior, or has he always done this since he was little? How is his basic obedience? What are you throwing for him to retrieve?
Sharon Potter

Postby forester » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:03 pm

This isn't new, it has been since day one. It is his.

I have thrown tennis balls, bumpers, duck bumpers, and live pigeon. He flies out to them, so he is interested, just doesn't want to bring anything to me.
forester

Postby Sharon Potter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:36 am

He needs basic obedience training.
Sharon Potter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:35 am

Sharon's pegged it. You've not laid a foundation to build on.
Rick Hall

Postby Payce » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:24 pm

Your getting great advice. We brought home just our second Chessy 8 months ago and when she was about 5 months old had the same type of results when retrieving. Fire out and not come back, at least not to me. Maybe not as extreme as what you are experiencing, but a challenge. Had already been working on OB, so after talking to the same people advising you now, focused on here, heal, sit, etc, with most of the effort on here. In time she came right around and now here is fairly solid and so is her retrieving. It took time, being calm, consistency, and lots of daily work. Still needs work. Seems OB is really a life long exercise, but she is getting it.

Everyday more and more it becomes evident a lot of the training effort is related to the the trainer, not the trainee. Those with the experience and knowledge all told me to relax, have fun and stay calm, but consistent. I'm not a trainer, a rookie for sure, but it sounds like your guy likes the game, now you just need to get him to play by the rules.
Payce

Postby Kathy Miller » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:19 pm

What everyone said about obedience training with special concentration on the recall. Start with the dog on leash working close to you calling ONE TIME yto "come". Then give a tug on the lead and bring the dog straight into you. Tell the dog to "wait", then call to come again, and again and again. As the dog is good on coming without the tug, then start putting some distance between you and the dog before you call to come all the while on a lead....go to a long line if you have to and only call "come" once, then reenforce with a light pop on the leash/long line if the dog does not react instantly to you one time command to come. Do not give more than one command each time and reenforce with the pop if the does does not start coming to you. It's going to take awhile to fix the dog's problems so don't think this is an overnight quick answer to your problem.

Also, if you want the dog to retrieve, find something of high value that the dog does love to retrieve and work the dog loose in your hallway with any doors in the hallway closed. Toss the object down the hallway away from you and make sure you are at the open end of the hallway so when the dog returns you can stop him before he tries to leave. Make sure to give him lots of praise when he returns with the object and only do 2 retrieves to begin with if the dog is successful. As he becomes more proficient at retrieving and coming back to you in the hallway, then you can increase over time to 4, 5, or 6. But you want him to be excited about retrieving and until you can also fix this problem don't throw any more than a couple of retrieves to begin with.

So, that said, once you get through these basics, then it would probably a good idea to look into working with a field trainer familiar with chesapeakes that you can work with to get your dog properly force fetched as this will also resolve a multitude of problems.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Kathy Miller
Sandy Oak Chesapeakes
www.sandyoakcbr.com
sndyoak@aol.com
Kathy Miller

Postby Tim Carrion » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:46 am

forester wrote:So, I have a now 8 month old that is refusing to fetch. He will charge out to what ever is thrown.... He has great drive, he seems to enjoy going out to the item, but then...... nada.

Thanks

It is instinct that gets them to go after it but it is training that gets them to bring it back!

IMHO stop throwing things for him. At 8 months of age concentrate on obedience: on and off lead, remote recalls to heel and remote sits, whistle and voice commands... Then force to hold/fetch. Only after obedience has been established, go back to retrieving but only in a controlled situation where you can enforce the obedience you have taught him.
He is not "refusing" to retrieve he just doesn't know how.

Tim
Tim Carrion

Postby forester » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:16 am

So I guess I should back up a bit further. His basic obedience is actually very good. It is more that he won't seize the item, he will mouth it, kick it around, but he won't hold it in his mouth and come back. We have worked on hold in the house and outside and he does find with something in his mouth until told to give. He would rather just play with it than pick it up.

I will keep at it, just never had this happen with a dog before. Usually I can't get them to stop bringing me sticks and anything they find.
forester

Next

Return to Young dog training