Getting a youg dog to swim confidently?

Hints, tips, and discussion in regard to the training of "mini-peakes"

Getting a youg dog to swim confidently?

Postby tbriggs8 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:54 am

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble getting my 7 month old to swim with confidence. He doesn't mind the water just when he loses the ground beneath his feet he sometimes gets all wide eyed and panics a little. Sometimes he will leave the bumper and come back. Any tips?
tbriggs8

Re: Getting a youg dog to swim confidently?

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:55 am

Quickest course I've found is to take him to water with another dog that loves swimming and let play and jealousy do their handiwork.
Rick Hall

Postby tbriggs8 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get something like that arranged.
tbriggs8

Postby tbriggs8 » Sun May 08, 2016 4:14 am

Update: I recently took Mammoth back to the pond and he is gung ho about getting into the water and getting that dummy. I think he just needed some calming words and to mature a bit more before getting the hang of swimming. (also the water is a bit warmer now bit still cold.)

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
tbriggs8

Postby Annabellam » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:27 pm

It takes time to learn and be confident but with kind words and assurance they can do it. It's really encouraging to know that it can swim now. I still have trouble with mine, who pretty much seems to hate water :) He does it when he likes but will also not not last in the water. Sometimes it's scary watching him but i always ensure he has a life jacket on.
Annabellam

Postby mainee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:14 am

My dog loves water, but was terrified of swimming when we got him as a two year old rescue. By throwing his favorite toy into the water for him to fetch, a little farther each time, we had him swimming strongly and confidently in less than 2 weeks!So, any dog can be taught to swim.
mainee

Return to Young dog training