Noise?

Hints, tips, and discussion in regard to the training of "mini-peakes"

Noise?

Postby Singlemalt » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:07 pm

So I have had my young fellow Hamish for over two weeks now and we are getting along very well. He is great in the crate and house training and basic obedience is going well. His nature is calm and confident but I notice when he does get excited he has a strong tendency to bark. He does so when eliciting play from my other dogs and today I had him at a pond for introduction to water. Before he figured out he was a good swimmer he was barking at the dummy in the water.

I have never really had to deal with a noisy dog with several Labs and many spaniels. Obviously at 10-11 weeks it is not a major problem but I would like to keep it from becoming one. How do the members recommend dealing with a pup with a tendency to be noisy?
Singlemalt

Re: Noise?

Postby Payce » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:46 pm

First I'm not a trainer. Rookie. Had two Chessies. First was a vocal male and that was my fault for not addressing early. It took a lot to get him to be manageable. Several pros on this site helped me and hopefully they will find time to address your question as it relates to a puppy. My second pup I followed the advice of the pro's and taught "quiet" and "no" early and while training or hunting noise hasn't been a problem. She is also a watch dog for the house when I travel. Not aggressive. Just announces if anyone is around the house outside or entering the house that isn't family or known friends, so she's still vocal, but not when told to be "quiet". Again hoping the pro's join in to give you the specifics as I know just a little more than nothing and that isn't much!
Hope it goes well.
Payce

Re: Noise?

Postby Tim Carrion » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:52 pm

At this age do not reward the behavior. When he barks "no" "quite" and put him in his crate. After he is quite in his crate for awhile
let him out play /toss a few right away not giving his a chance to bark. Let him learn that barking is not the way to get what he wants.
Take care of this now. Noise can be a life time problem once it is ingrained.

Tim
Tim Carrion

Return to Young dog training