Holding a line

Q & A's pertaining to training problems & troubleshooting.

Holding a line

Postby Cichester » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Hello everyone
I am encountering an issue when introducing blind retrieves with my 8 month old bitch.
She did great on force to pile and pile work. She does good on tee work. Sometimes guessing though but stop with immediate correction. She tends to do this with casting work as well.
She does great in the wagon wheel drill as well.
But if I try to send her on a retrieve that she didn’t see she just seems lost and will just fan around. Instead of holding the line I sent her on. That or she will immediately go to a previously pile location and check there.
Is the solution to blow the whistle walk up to her get her back on the line and send again?
Thanks in advance
Cichester

Re: Holding a line

Postby Tim Carrion » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Keep in mind that for a dog running blinds is a totally unnatural act. Transitioning to real blinds involves more that wagon wheels and casting drills.
From your description (although I do not know what "sometimes guessing" means) it looks like you may have skipped a few steps:
Doing blinds does not happen in a vacuum. What is dog's experience: with multiple tight singles, with multiple marks( doubles /triples), what degree of separation has she been taught in retrieving the memory birds of doubles and triples, what about pattern or school blinds what length and separation is she competent and confident in doing, have you mixed marks into your pattern/school blinds?

IMHO all of these principles, an maybe a few more, need be solid before attempting to send her for something she never saw .
Wagon Wheels and T work are merely pieces of blind mechanics (the obedience part) that are added to many of the retrieving skills mentioned above to build a dog that can run blinds.

Tim
Tim Carrion

Postby Cichester » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:03 pm

Tim

Thank you for the response. It’s obvious I’m a novice in training. No doubt I have skipped things. I will back up and work on things.
Cichester

Postby Cichester » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:16 pm

Tim
I will admit I was a little confused about some of the description used. I don’t know exactly what you mean by tight single.
We have done doubles and triples. Doubles at 180 degrees do not seem to be an issue. Triples haven’t been as smooth.

I did revisit my book, I used even Graham’s material 7 years ago and still have it.

Let me clarify on my original post. I assume I’m using the correct terminology below but let me know if I messed it up.

The day I had a problem was a cold blind. I placed the pile while she was still in her kennel. By guessing I was referring to casting drills. Which means she doesn’t understand I know.

We had previously done pattern blinds before but I think I did not give it enough time.

So I am backing up and spending more time on that area now.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon.
We setup a three legged pattern blind drill. Piles are 40-50 yards away from the apex.
I throw a number into the pile at 12 o’clock. I send her and she wants to flare to the piles at 3 or 9 o’clock.
I blow my whistle say no and recall her. Send her again and she did it again.
Eventually we got all the bumpers picked up.
I’m in southeast Texas so it has hot yesterday and she was kind of moody it seemed. Maybe it was the heat.

Let me add that I’m not a duck hunter. Nor will I ever run trials or tests. I do love to dove hunt and she will be used for that.
I just really enjoy working with and training dogs.

Thank you in advance.
Cichester

Postby Tim Carrion » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:05 am

I will admit I was a little confused about some of the description used. I don’t know exactly what you mean by tight single.
We have done doubles and triples. Doubles at 180 degrees do not seem to be an issue. Triples haven’t been as smooth.

Tight singles is having the dog mark a series of singles with varying the degrees of separation. These singles can be thrown from either i person walking to a different location for each throw or multiple people spread out about the field,

IMHO build on your success with these singles and doubles. Forget triples for awhile. Start decreasing that 180^ separation . When you get to about 30 - 40^ range then they start getting the idea of different lines for different retrieves and focusing to wear you are lining them .

It is not magical. You just need to breakdown the task into simple components that she can understand. One of the most basic and very necessary skill for lining, which many overlook, is precision heeling. A dog that you cannot adjust at your side to get pointed /heeled in the correct direction will not line well. Get the body straight, then the head,the eyes and you'll finally get the brain right.

Tim
Tim Carrion

Postby Cichester » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:00 pm

Thanks again for the response.
I train alone so I had my youngest daughter throw the bumpers out.
I feel like she is doing good for the trainer she has. If she had a pro she might be real special.
Cichester

Postby Cichester » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:54 am

Went on our first hunt. It didn’t go great. I blame the heat. Also she had no idea what was going on.

Will try again this weekend
Cichester

Return to Ask The Pro's