Holding a line

Q & A's pertaining to training problems & troubleshooting.

Holding a line

Postby Cichester » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Hello everyone
I am encountering an issue when introducing blind retrieves with my 8 month old bitch.
She did great on force to pile and pile work. She does good on tee work. Sometimes guessing though but stop with immediate correction. She tends to do this with casting work as well.
She does great in the wagon wheel drill as well.
But if I try to send her on a retrieve that she didn’t see she just seems lost and will just fan around. Instead of holding the line I sent her on. That or she will immediately go to a previously pile location and check there.
Is the solution to blow the whistle walk up to her get her back on the line and send again?
Thanks in advance
Cichester

Re: Holding a line

Postby Tim Carrion » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Keep in mind that for a dog running blinds is a totally unnatural act. Transitioning to real blinds involves more that wagon wheels and casting drills.
From your description (although I do not know what "sometimes guessing" means) it looks like you may have skipped a few steps:
Doing blinds does not happen in a vacuum. What is dog's experience: with multiple tight singles, with multiple marks( doubles /triples), what degree of separation has she been taught in retrieving the memory birds of doubles and triples, what about pattern or school blinds what length and separation is she competent and confident in doing, have you mixed marks into your pattern/school blinds?

IMHO all of these principles, an maybe a few more, need be solid before attempting to send her for something she never saw .
Wagon Wheels and T work are merely pieces of blind mechanics (the obedience part) that are added to many of the retrieving skills mentioned above to build a dog that can run blinds.

Tim
Tim Carrion

Re: Holding a line

Postby Cichester » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:03 pm

Tim

Thank you for the response. It’s obvious I’m a novice in training. No doubt I have skipped things. I will back up and work on things.
Cichester

Return to Ask The Pro's