seconh hand chessie

Q & A's pertaining to training problems & troubleshooting.

seconh hand chessie

Postby denos » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:14 am

somewhat against my better judgement i took on a second hand chessie in July 2017. she was 21 month old breeder return and beautiful. it seems that her first owner never walked her on a leash. This is my second chessie. my first was a pet shop rescue. no one wanted the big brown dog in the box so i got her through a program that save dogs from being put down. say what you want about puppy mill dogs she was nearly perfect. she was 7 months old walked on slack leash out of the box, after two months off leash at heel the rest of her life. I thought that it would not be too much trouble after bonding with my new dog. the problem is that she has amazing drive and focus for retrieves, game, and bumpers. but she does not seem to get any of the puppy obedience that came so easy with my last dog. After 16 months she still needs a prong collar to walk on leash. if off leash she comes back when she is ready, nd she will not sit quietly (attention barking if the action is too slow)

I need lots of help
denos

Re: seconh hand chessie

Postby Sharon Potter » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:01 am

You need training...for you. And then the dog. Can you find a good pro to work with you and your dog?
Sharon Potter

Postby denos » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:05 pm

I live in eastern Massachusetts. There are not many pros around here that I know of, especially for working or sporting dogs. They also seem to be all about the clicker. It may be pride, arrogance,or simply self respect, but I refuse to walk around furiously clicking at my dog. I would prefer some type of classical tried and true training program over the latest fad. Also in eastern Mass trainers charge about $250 per hour. that is simply out of my reach.

The dog's major problem seems to be over stimulation (running in circles with back side down and not swallowing). Are there good reads, either books or websites that can help with steadiness? Additionally I have not used a training color, but I am in no way opposed to it.

I have spoken to a few pros in the area and all I got for advice was to change her food from purina 1, but with no recommendation to what, and the other trainer relied on food bribes to get the dog to do what you want. Again this is not my first Chessie. I know how smart she is, and she would use disobedience first to earn a food reward by obeying only after disobedience.
denos

Postby Sharon Potter » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:39 pm

A quick google search shows several retriever trainers in and around Massachusetts. You might have to drive for a few sessions, which would be both smart and effective.

Clicker training has its uses and value, but isn't effective in field work due to distance and other factors. And if your dog is getting rewarded by disobedience, that isn't a dog issue, it's a timing issue with the handler as well as the handler understanding the method and reading the dog. That goes with any training method, not just clickers.

I don't quite understand this comment: "The dog's major problem seems to be over stimulation (running in circles with back side down and not swallowing)". Swallowing? Running in circles with backside down? Can you clarify?

How much free exercise is the dog getting? Are you following any sort of training method? Do you plan to hunt the dog?
Sharon Potter

Postby denos » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:08 pm

I am sending you an extended version as a private message so you can understand more about me and my training method. but this is for this thread.

I will answer your questions in reverse order. I have a hunting license usually I hunt only deer, however if the dog worked I would like to hunt up land and waterfowl. I did not get a second hand dog with the express goal of hunting.
I am not following any sort of training method as read in books or seen on video other than the “respect training” method that mirrors my personal experience with my last dog. Free exercise is an interesting concept. Truly free she does not know what to do with herself. She is indefatigable. Running free without direction she has shown a tendency to escalate into the overstimulated state (some say beyond threshold) and becomes unruly even mouthing me on two occasions (not tolerated). Getting her back under control on leash she will bolt and run with back side down (low hips arched back) in circles as the leash limits her distance until I can calm her. On two occasions over the last year and a half she escalated so badly that I had to hold her down with my body until she would breathe normally (I can’t really explain, not just panting) and her stop bugging out (too much white for a dog). I have not had these problems as of late because she remains focused on retrieving the bumper to the point of ignoring other dogs. Exercise seems to be a tricky formula. She seems to escalate with too much. But when there is too little due to my schedule I see problems also.
As far as rewarding disobedience. I am talking about manipulation. I trained my last dog through relationship. I believe that a dog that is behaving for rewards is not a dog that is behaving it is only a dog doing tricks for rewards. A dog should behave to please its owner and be rewarded with praise and affection for the desire to please.
I think that this conversation is more about how do you get a second hand Chesapeake to bond with a new owner
denos

Postby denos » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:42 pm

I am not following any sort of training method as read in books or seen on video other than the “respect training” method that mirrors my personal experience with my last dog. Free exercise is an interesting concept. Truly free she does not know what to do with herself. She is indefatigable. Running free without direction she has shown a tendency to escalate into the overstimulated state (some say beyond threshold) and becomes unruly even mouthing me on two occasions (not tolerated). Getting her back under control on leash she will bolt and run with back side down (low hips arched back) in circles as the leash limits her distance until I can calm her. On two occasions over the last year and a half she escalated so badly that I had to hold her down with my body until she would breathe normally (I can’t really explain, not just panting) and her stop bugging out (too much white for a dog). I have not had these problems as of late because she remains focused on retrieving the bumper to the point of ignoring other dogs. Exercise seems to be a tricky formula. She seems to escalate with too much. But when there is too little due to my schedule I see problems also.
As far as rewarding disobedience. I am talking about manipulation. I trained my last dog through relationship. I believe that a dog that is behaving for rewards is not a dog that is behaving it is only a dog doing tricks for rewards. A dog should behave to please its owner and be rewarded with praise and affection for the desire to please.
I think that this conversation is more about how do you get a second hand Chesapeake to bond with a new owner
denos

Postby Sharon Potter » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:11 pm

It sounds like you've got a very high drive dog....one that needs a lot more exercise, including free time. That "escalating" you speak of is just a dog needing to blow off steam. Any high energy dog is going to be wound up and need to run and be silly and crazy, until they wear out a bit, especially when they aren't getting any free off leash exercise. It's wild play, and will happen until the dog tires out and relaxes. When a dog knows it will get that free time, the need to run that hard and be silly disappears.

You can't compare this dog to your past dog, which was far more laid back. They are two completely different animals.

This isn't about bonding at this point. Dogs bond with those who provide what the dog needs and it sounds like this dog doesn't see you in that light. This dog needs something other than what you're giving it and it's unfair to expect the dog to be something it is not. You've spent a year and a half with this dog, expecting it to behave the same as your last dog. That is not going to happen.

There are trainers, and training groups that you can join in a retriever club that aren't expensive like the $250 an hour you mention. Most clubs are less than $50 a year and that's the only cost. All you have to do is show up, help like the other members, and you'll get help.

You cannot train a dog over the internet. You need hands-on help. The other option is to place this dog in a different situation where it can get the training and exercise it needs, then get a dog better suited to your needs.

That's all I've got.
Sharon Potter

Return to Ask The Pro's