Dog won't pick up dead birds

Q & A's pertaining to training problems & troubleshooting.

Dog won't pick up dead birds

Postby jfattiga » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Help / suggestions, my CBR won't retrieve dead birds we just started training and he's exited runs them down paws at it even barks at it but won't pick it up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jfattiga

Re: Dog won't pick up dead birds

Postby Sharon Potter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 pm

How old is the dog? How does he do on bumpers? What training program are you following? Is he FF'd? What has the dog's exposure to live birds been?
Sharon Potter

Postby jfattiga » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:49 am

Sharon Potter wrote:How old is the dog? How does he do on bumpers? What training program are you following? Is he FF'd? What has the dog's exposure to live birds been?

jfattiga

Postby jfattiga » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 am

jfattiga wrote:
Sharon Potter wrote:How old is the dog? How does he do on bumpers? What training program are you following? Is he FF'd? What has the dog's exposure to live birds been?

Bear is 18 months and he does fine on bumpers. Took him to pheasant valley farm he found live birds and chased them. But he wouldn't pick up a dead bird. He is not FF'd, and not following any program, I wouldn't know where to begin.

jfattiga

Postby Tim Carrion » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:51 am

I would suggest that you consider getting direct help from a pro or experienced amateur, Force fetching is not something you want to do on your own for the first time based on some book or video, especially with an 18 month old.
It will take some time. Most pro's will take a few months because it usually requires a "review course" of basics to remove bad habits.

Tim
Tim Carrion

Return to Ask The Pro's