Protective and aggressive

Q & A's pertaining to training problems & troubleshooting.

Protective and aggressive

Postby Bayouboy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:39 am

Anyone have any advice with obedience training? He is a 1 year old male and a great hunting dog but way over protective. He was the alpha male of the litter and no one can come in the yard or house without him going crazy. He is so protective he bite our neighbors arm last week. Anyone have advice on a trainer to help with this? We have teenagers and he is good with them but we have kids in and out all the time. Last thing I want is a kid to get hurt. My wife wants to get rid of the dog but I don’t want to go that route. He is one of the smartest retrievers I have worked with but my first chessie.
Bayouboy

Re: Protective and aggressive

Postby Frank Pittelli » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:32 pm

You need to find a professional dog trainer in your area to evaluate the issues and determine the best obedience training regime. Since this is you first Chessie and it has already bitten someone, professional hands-on assistance is the way to go. Incorrectly executed self-help could make the issues much worse.
Frank Pittelli

Postby Tim Carrion » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Bayouboy wrote:.... He is so protective he bite our neighbors arm last week. We have teenagers and he is good with them but we have kids in and out all the time. Last thing I want is a kid to get hurt. My wife wants to get rid of the dog but I don’t want to go that route. He is one of the smartest retrievers I have worked with but my first chessie.

Your wife is probably right. There are dogs that do not belong in a family environment. He may be a great retriever but the facts you have presented make this dog a significant liability. Everyone, including the dog, may be better off if he could be placed in a different setting where his retrieving skills would be appreciated and his social issues not tested.

Tim
Tim Carrion

Postby RShockley » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:55 pm

Also look for a trainer that has experience with behavior modification. This is a bigger issue then obedience at this point.
RShockley

Postby Bayouboy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:31 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for a trainer in the Houston Texas area or southeast Texas?
Bayouboy

Postby Payce » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:22 pm

I don’t have the experience of the others advising you. Only on my second Chessie. My first Chessie didn’t play well with small dogs and we ended up selling him. Also I have hunted behind hounds for years and have to agree with Tim. The safest thing to do and the best solution for the dog is placing him in an environment that reduces the potential for another situation that could impact the dog and your family badly. My fear is you will always find yourself on edge with the dog....not fun. There maybe, or are, ways to reduce/eliminate (?) the reaction, but still I would always have the concern in the back of my mind.
Sorry to hear about your situation.......
Payce

Return to Ask The Pro's