Training layoff question

Q & A's pertaining to training problems & troubleshooting.

Training layoff question

Postby Payce » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:49 am

Sky came in season (finally at 17 months) and training, except some OB, stopped then in early March. Lasted roughly 4 weeks and come April work and family kept me wrapped up. No training for two months! Finally have time to get back into a routine on training. She was solid on marks to 150+ yards and had started doubles. For the 2 weeks prior to her coming in season we were working on 3 handed casting and FTP. Responding well to both.
Okay here's the question......Figured I would have to back up from where we left off on marks and start over on 3 handed casting and FTP. Any other pitfalls to watch for, or avoid after a two month layoff?
Hate we missed two months of work, especially during cooler weather. It will get hot here in Iowa soon and training will be limited to early mornings, but life gets in the way sometimes.
Payce
Payce

Re: Training layoff question

Postby Tim Carrion » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Payce wrote:Okay here's the question......Figured I would have to back up from where we left off on marks and start over on 3 handed casting and FTP. Any other pitfalls to watch for, or avoid after a two month layoff?
Payce

Back up on your marks as well. There is no substitute for confidence and success. You will find you will advance more quickly then your first time through and this will help insure you a firm foundation. Marking is as much of a learn skill as obedience and handling especially as you get into multiple and technical marks. Don't take it for granted!

Tim
Tim Carrion

Postby Payce » Mon May 01, 2017 1:38 am

Thanks Tim. I'll shorten and simplify marks.
Payce

Postby Payce » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Good morning to all. Progress has been slow not because of Sky, because of hot weather and owner work load (and I'm semi retired?). Dogs are amazing how well they truely retain training. Been focused on marks and OB. Coming on just fine and will get back into FTP and 3 handed casting as weather allows. Until the last couple of days it has been hot.
The fun part about yesterday, had been working on remote sit using collar tone early this spring. Use it with upland to avoid whistle noise. Anyway, the last time we worked on it was early March. Yesterday prior to doing marks I let Sky stretch out her legs and when she was paying attention hit the collar tone and she came right to sit. Walked out and petted her. Did several more and she performed just as needed. Not saying it means training can be sparse or irregular. Just cool how good of a memory our dogs have!
Payce

Return to Ask The Pro's