best feed for 6 month pup?

Q & A's pertaining to training problems & troubleshooting.

best feed for 6 month pup?

Postby jfattiga » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi,
Want to get some recommendations on dog feed for my CBR pup he is 6 months and weighs about 70 lbs. What do you feed your CBR and how much? Currently feeding EUKANUBA Puppy Large Breed Puppy Food, mixing in different things like yogurt or eggs or eukanuba wet can food. But he's been picky lately sometimes eating everything an other times not. His appetite corresponds to his changing bowel movement. Vet said it's likely dietary. Trying to figure out what is best for him at this age and weight

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
jfattiga

Re: best feed for 6 month pup?

Postby Sharon Potter » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:25 am

There are numerous good dry dog foods out there. I'm feeding Victor, but have also liked Taste of the Wild, Purina ProPlan, Earthborn Holisitcs, Diamond Naturals....the list of good quality dry dog foods is seemingly endless.

I'd stick with dry food without the miscellaneous extras. Adding different stuff can be hard on a dog's system, and they all handle it differently. A good quality dry food has everything he needs already in it, and adding the extra stuff teaches him to be picky.

When you feed him, put the bowl down, give him 15 minutes and then pick it up. Next feeding time, put it down, give him 15 minutes and pick it up. When he gets hungry, he'll eat. Don't worry if he chooses to not eat for a couple days. Right now, he's training you....it needs to be the other way around. You're the leader, you provide the food and you allow him to eat.
Sharon Potter

Postby casjoker » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:44 am

Sharon what version of Victor are you using? Considering changing foods. Looking at ProPlan All stages but the Victor seems to have better ingredients. My dogs gas is a real room clearer he hits us with a couple good ones each night!
casjoker

Postby Sharon Potter » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:00 am

I'm using the HiPro 30/20 (teal colored bag). They have other formulas I like too. I've been very happy with it, and since I quit the Purina feed with corn, my dogs don't have gunky, yeasty ears anymore.
Sharon Potter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:47 pm

Never had ear or any other problems with Pro Plan 30/20, but friends carry Victor at their small feed store just down the road, and I've been feeding it, too, over the past couple years. The Victor 30/20 gave both my guys softer stools than I want to mess with, but they've done appreciably better in that regard on Victor's "Professional" formula, which appears much the same only without poggie/menhaden meal.
Rick Hall

Return to Ask The Pro's